Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 25th, 2010 13:00

Zoning Host on Brocade M5424 to CX4 on Cisco MDS-9509 via ECC 6.0 with NPIV enabled

We have a Cisco FC environment.  We use Dell M1000e blade centers.  We use the Dell blades for Windows and RHEL Linux standalone servers and also for VMWare VSphere environment.  In the past we've used the Emulex pass through cards and connected back to the Cisco MDS-9509 (SAN-OS 3.3 / version 1 hdwr).  We are needing to roll out several of these M1000e chassis' and were thinking of using the Brocade M5424 SAN Switches instead of the Emulex pass throughs.  I found a document from Dell about connecting the M1000e to a Cisco SAN fabric.  We're at the right rev level to enable NPIV (N_Port ID Virtualization) technologies.

Dell is pretty hard to borrow gear to test it out, so we might be forced to buy it this way if we want to proceed in this direction, which brings up a few questions...

Does anyone know if we will run into zoning issues zoning with EMC Control Center 6.0?

Does anyone know of compatibility issues with this setup with Windows, RHEL or VMWare?

Any gotchya's we need to look out for?

Thanks very much!

Bob Lopes

141 Posts

November 28th, 2017 23:00

Hi there,

In our efforts to clean up the forum, we came across your question / statement.

If the question / statement is still valid, not expired and you need an update please reach out again and we try to get it answered.

As for now we set it to “answered.”

Regards,

Jim

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 25th, 2010 13:00

are you looking into enabling access gateway mode on M5424 ? I think it's the best way to go, don't have to worry about interoperability mode, domain id. You just need to enable NPIV on 9509 and make sure code level on 9509/M5424 is listed in E-Lab navigator. I can't comment on support with ECC6 but if you can manage your existing 9509 then you will have no problems as M5424 in AG mode becomes a pass-through really.

February 25th, 2010 14:00

Thanks for the prompt response!

Yes, we were planning to use the Access Gateway Mode on the Brocade M5424 and enable NPIV on the MDS-9509s, so we don't have to mess with any interoperability issues between the two vendors or domain id issues.

I'm really concerned with ECC 6.0.  We do all our zoning through ECC, it's the way it's always been - maybe justification for purchasing ECC - I don't know.  I used to always zone using Fabric Manager, I had to learn to use ECC.  One issue we had with 6.0 was when we connected the cisco module from an IBM blade center.  We needed to downgrade the cisco module in a IBM blade center from nex-os (4.0) to san-os 3.3, so ECC 6.0 could pick up the zoning.  With 6.1, it recognizes NEX-OS.

My system admins are concerned with compatibility with their OS's, especially RedHat...  I'm trying to find out the OS level of the Brocade Fabric OS from our Dell rep, then I'll plug those numbers into the elab navigator...

No Events found!