Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

April 6th, 2018 13:00

Abandoned by Dell

Re: Dell Inspiron 546 Motherboard. After much consternation and $50 plus for having my computer problem diagnosed it all boiled down to a second bad motherboard from Dell. After telling them that I had a second bad mother board (no Video) they placed another order for a replacement and sent me a return label and I initiated that and sent it back. My replacement board was scheduled for shipment 4/5 - 4/15. My order was placed on the 28th of March. On April 3 I got notification from dell that my order was cancelled because they discontinued to supply the board. After being on their books and buying everything Dell for 12 years, that's it. 

2.3K Posts

April 6th, 2018 13:00

Hello! If you are under warranty, they should replace the motherboard with something that is equal to or better then what you have. Or they can replace the system as such. If you are not under warranty and the system is discontinued then they can replace parts for as long as they have stock. After that there is nothing that can be done.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

April 6th, 2018 14:00

This is a nine year old system - it's not surprising parts aren't available;  Dell generally supports systems with parts for 3-5 years -- which is the same as most others do (except Apple;  good luck getting parts for anything more than 3 years old).

If you really want to keep a system this old, there are plenty of used 546 systems on EBay for around or under $100 complete.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 7th, 2018 12:00

And there are motherboards for both the 546 and 546MT here and probably on Amazon too.

Note that the 546 and 546MT appear to use different motherboards...

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 9th, 2018 10:00

Apologies that the person who setup the order did not check the Dell internal tools to verify if the motherboard was available. The Rockstars are correct, we do not have the replacement parts for this 9 year old model. To help with your eBay searching, the internal parts page list only one motherboard for both the Inspiron 546 and Inspiron 546s;
W247R Motherboard service kit which includes the F896N Foxconn motherboard

No Events found!