Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2016 18:00

Actual Shipping vs Advertised Shipping

Hello,

This would be my first post on Dell community, so it'll be nice to learn who the audience actually are, consumers or the company itself. I should probably start by saying I submitted my order on dell.ca as I live in Canada but the community seems to be only available on dell.com.

The reason of my post is that Dell advertises their computers to be shipped within 3-5 business days of the purchase yet every computer I've purchased from dell was delayed in shipping "this would be my fourth". I recently purchased a ~$4000 Alienware and of course like any gamer out there I'm super excited to receive my new baby.

Yesterday was the fifth business day after my order was confirmed and I haven't heard back as usual, no email saying we apologize for the delay with your order nor something to say that it's on it's way. My question would be, are you consumers running into this same issue or I'm just unlucky with my investments? Also has Dell ever done anything to compensate for such an inconvenience? Last would be to Dell, is there anything being done about how you're handling delayed orders and keeping the consumers happy? Example: Setting proper expectations, email updates if order has been delayed, more accurate advertising on the website ect..

Might as well add, I'm curious if dell computers are shipped from a Dell factory where they are built, customized according to the consumers order, then shipped to the customer, or does the computer get shipped from one place (factory) to a warehouse where it's built/customized, then to the consumer?

Thanks for you time and best regards,

2.3K Posts

September 6th, 2016 10:00

Hello!  The Computer is built at a factory, shipped to a warehouse, and then shipped to you.  The 'shipping clock' so to speak, doesn't start until its shipped from the warehouse.  Normally you will receive notice if there is a delay somewhere down the line, but i'm not sure what Canada's regulations on mail order businesses are. 

For more information you can click here

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 7th, 2016 10:00

Hi Audi_780,

Thank you for posting your inquiry on the Dell Community Forum Customer Care Board. I appreciate this opportunity to address  your Shipping vs Delivery concerns.

Unfortunately, due to issues of stock availability, payment processing and shipping time frames, order delays are a normal part of the business for most merchants. The shipping date, as provided by a Dell sales agent, a customer care representative, or on the Dell website, is an estimate only and is not guaranteed. You may be confusing the order date, the estimated shipping date (ESD), and then the estimated delivery date (EDD).

The order date is the date you place an order. If the item is not available to ship, you need to wait however many days until it becomes available before it can be shipped. This ESD may include processing time at the manufacturer and shipping time from the manufacturer to a merge center.

The product invoices on the day it ships from the merge center, which is also the date your warranty becomes effective. The EDD is the amount of time it takes to ship from the merge center to the final destination. You may pay to upgrade the shipping, or if the item is purchased through the Dell Advantage Rewards Program, you are entitled to 2 day shipping. Otherwise the standard EDD from the merge center to the final destination is 3 – 5 days, with the exception of large TVs which are shipped Freight and can be 7 – 10 days delivery time.

I trust this information is helpful. Should you need additional information please contact our Dell Customer Support experts.

Thanks,
Lorna

No Events found!