Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2013 19:00

Alienware 18 780m shortage

When I ordered my Alienware 18 I was told there was a shortage on 780m cards and I accepted that, but I've now phoned up twice and apparently theres no record on the system of when they are actually going to get new 780m cards in stock which makes me worried.

Starting college next week and now facing having no computer for a month while I wait for anyone to have an idea of when there might be 780m cards in stock and then manufacture the laptop, test and deliver it.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 31st, 2013 06:00

Jakh33,

This is an industry wide backlog from the manufacturer. We removed the GTX780m on the USA sales site because of this. My advice is to purchase a used, low end Latitude running XP and install the free OpenOffice to only do school work. You can find an inexpensive one on the discountcomputers website. This way, you will have a dedicated laptop for schoolwork. Then, when the Alienware 18 ships,  you will have a dedicated laptop for gaming.

27 Posts

September 1st, 2013 17:00

That  is good to know, I was thinking of ordering one but could not find the 780m option. What about the Quad SSD option? That is not on the store either! 

3 Posts

September 1st, 2013 21:00

That used to be available but I think it got removed as well, I never saw it on my site, I'm from UK. But the UK site is still offering 780m on their builds.

27 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 00:00

Interesting that the UK store have the 780m cards. It would be nice if all advertised options were available on the website. Perhaps I will check back in a couple of months. 

No Events found!