Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 6th, 2013 10:00

Customising Options when placing order ?

When I bought my current Dell desktop, a Dimension 9150 some years ago, there were various options for customisation when placing an order online but these seem more limited now?

I'm hoping to be in a position to upgrade soon and will be looking at an XPS8500. The highest RAM option appears to be 16GB (4 x 4 GB)  but I beleive the motherboard supports at least 32GB but there seems to be no option to select more RAM?

There also seems no options to change SSD/HD sizes, Graphics card or optical drive (say, if you want a Blu-ray recording drive).

Anyone know if it is possible to specify different options and if so, how? Place order by phone ?

3 Apprentice

• 

8.8K Posts

April 6th, 2013 13:00

When I bought my current Dell desktop, a Dimension 9150 some years ago, there were various options for customisation when placing an order online but these seem more limited now?

I'm hoping to be in a position to upgrade soon and will be looking at an XPS8500. The highest RAM option appears to be 16GB (4 x 4 GB)  but I beleive the motherboard supports at least 32GB but there seems to be no option to select more RAM?

There also seems no options to change SSD/HD sizes, Graphics card or optical drive (say, if you want a Blu-ray recording drive).

Anyone know if it is possible to specify different options and if so, how? Place order by phone ?

LJC1

I just checked out the 8500 ordering page and yes, the options are kind of limited but sufficient.

As far as choosing other options than those offered on the web, that's not possible.  Would you be more successful trying to make substitutions ordering by phone, honestly I tend to think not.  As far as RAM, 16gig of RAM  is more than adequate. I ran the new Alienware R4 Aurora with eight gigs and games on all the highest settings with ease.  If you need more than 16gigs then there are places that do sell it on the web. 

I just curious why you think you need more than 16gigs of RAM... what are you running?

That AMD Radeon 7770 video card is not ''that'' bad.  It's better than the one that they used to offer with this model, I believe it was the 7550 2 gig...(I think)

Zb1

27 Posts

April 6th, 2013 13:00

Thanks for the info :emotion-1:

TBH, I probably don't need more than 16GB - my main requirement is for photo editing with CS6; I don't even play games on my PC. I guess it was just a case of  'if the motherboard supporsts 32GBm ight as well have it'  so probably overkill on my part :emotion-5:

Dell have also pointed  me to this model that has 24GB:  http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-8500/pd?oc=d00x8532&model_id=xps-8500   which I'm sure would easily fulfill my needs.

I wonder what brand the SSD & HD is?

3 Apprentice

• 

8.8K Posts

April 6th, 2013 14:00

LJCI,

You will be fine with 16gigs on editing  also.

Not sure what brand of SSD or HD Dell is using.

Zb1

No Events found!