Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2014 12:00

Defective Alienware 14-R1 Laptops out of the box!

Hello Everyone,

Posted this in the Alienware Arena forums, but I wanted to post here as well. I ordered my Alienware 14 early in January, excited by the specs and decent reviews online. The computer was primarily to be used as a mobile development system for my consulting business. However, when I received my system I noticed that the network port was bent inward on the right side and had intermittent connection issues. I called tech support and they offered to send out a tech to replace a motherboard. I declined as this was an unacceptable build issue on a brand new computer. Alienware said they could send a replacement, but it would take 30 days. I thought about it and decided I could wait for an exchange. 

Well 30 days later, I finally get my new system -- time to get to work right? Wrong. More build quality issues right out of the box. I immediately notice that there are some grease or residue marks on the keyboard/trackpad, the "{" key is bent inward and not flush with the other keys, and the power LED fx lighting is off. Great. I call tech support, he connects to my computer and tries to get the LED back on -- but can't. Yet again they want to send out a tech to replace parts in my brand new system. Once more, I state that these issues are unacceptable on a $2100 computer that just came out of the box. I ask about getting yet another replacement expedited to me. Tech support states that there is no expedited exchanges and I have to start all over from scratch (which includes getting my exchange "approved"). So I am supposed to wait another 30 days--another month without an Alienware computer that doesn't have build defects. Great.

Anyone have any tips on getting this turned around quicker? Should I throw in the towel with Alienware and demand a refund so I can find a computer manufacturer without build issues? I have reached out to support on Twitter, Facebook, and even filed a complaint with an agency. You think after sending out TWO defective computers Alienware would be all over getting this resolved quickly so I can get back to work. The turn around time and treatment I am getting almost makes me feel like Alienware views this as my fault somehow. I am really starting to wish I had went with a different vendor. Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!

3 Apprentice

• 

8.8K Posts

March 9th, 2014 12:00

and even filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Profanity, Litigiousness, Solicitation are prohibited

After this is removed we can progress.

Z................

P.S. After 30 days from  the date of your order you are no longer eligible for a refund, sorry.  An exchange yes, but after 30 days you will get a refurbished unit.  It will have the same warranty as you chose when you bought your initial unit.

3 Apprentice

• 

8.8K Posts

March 9th, 2014 15:00

I  would take  their offer of a system exchange....

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 9th, 2014 17:00

The computer was primarily to be used as a mobile development system for my consulting business.

... on a $2100 computer that just came out of the box. 

I am really starting to wish I had went with a different vendor. Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!

That is a gaming laptop. For your application, I suggest a business laptop. Dell Precision or HP EliteBook Pro or ZStation.

Less bling but generally better for mission critical business use and traveling.

3 Apprentice

• 

8.8K Posts

March 10th, 2014 12:00

Tesla1856

Dell's policy concerning exchanges is Like for Like.

You can't change the model if you get a replacement, unless that's Dell's decision.

You can ask, but your answer is most likely going to be like for like.

Telsa , good seeing you in this forum, come back soon.:emotion-1:

Z...................

No Events found!