Start a Conversation

Unsolved

V

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2018 00:00

Dell Problematic Support: what a joke!

Hi all,

Let me start by saying that this experience has taught me that unfortunately sometimes we should listen to our instincts and ... to the many reviews that define Dell's assistance as painful. However, I thought that a multinational company like this surely could not be a total disaster, and that some reviews must be exaggerated. So with this in mind I decided to buy a Dell XPS 15 9560 (4k display, 1TB SSD, 32GB Ram etc), which came with what is supposedly “Pro Support” (to make it available if travelling you only need to amend the location you live in).

“Great machine” most of you would say: right, if only the excellent technical specifications would translate into excellent performance! And quite obviously this is not the case.

You’ll read my explanation below and forgive some forgetfulness if it happens, since this case has been open with Dell Support for more than 50 days (yes, 50 days).

On 07/06/2018 I bought the above-mentioned laptop from Microsoft Australia (I lived there until a few months ago, now I'm in Italy) and after a few days from the delivery, as well as the installation of Adobe products I needed for work, I experienced an exasperating slowness in rendering images in Lightroom and Photoshop. Most notably; exaggerated lags in the application of brushes (brushes whose stroke was displayed even after 5 seconds from the application, unthinkable for those dealing with photos / graphics) and 3/4 seconds of waiting before even being able to view only previews. Small things for some users, maybe, not if you work with photography and graphics and you have spent $ 3200.00 on a laptop that was supposed to be the top of its line!

Back to the problem, not attributing it to the laptop itself, but perhaps to an incorrect configuration, I proceeded to update all drivers, and reconfigure settings in Lightroom, in order to make the operation more fluid: no improvement. I opted for a fresh installation of the OS, but nothing. So I decided to contact Dell support on 21/06 and this was the beginning of the end. 

1st solution offered (ineffective): first telephone contacts were adequate: they listened to the problems and offered remote troubleshooting (also because through the Dell app I had encountered a hardware problem, which then magically disappeared). The technician therefore had the opportunity to see with his own eyes the problems I was facing.  His solution was a new OS installation and subsequent changes to Nvidia GeForce settings …. But again, nothing! 

2nd solution offered (not feasible): Following a continuous and frustrating game of phone tag I got a call from France from a supervisor, who explicitly admits that the problem lies in the integrated Intel HD 630 graphics card, which is not able to fully support 4K screens yet! The mind boggles at why a laptop with a 4K screen is equipped with a graphics card that cannot support it, but nevertheless I agree (despite the discomfort already suffered) to:

1. Return the machine:
  2. Accept the refund of the full amount paid at the time of purchase
  3. Accept a discount in order to buy back a laptop (not 4K) via Dell website. 

3rd solution offered (creative and impossible): All solved, you will say ...? NO. Why? Because then I am told that the laptop was purchased in Australia and therefore a return and refund are not possible in Italy. But I am now offered a genius solution that makes me literally laugh out loud: travel back to Australia to return the laptop!  ... 

4th solution offered (funny): You can understand that at this point I am extremely frustrated at this situation with customer support, but trying to remain polite and flexible I gently ask to find an alternative solution, since I cannot imagine that the only solution they can think of is actually asking me to go back to Australia. They say that in order to operate they need me to update the registration of the property of the laptop in my name: sure, done. What could possibly go wrong now?

Surprisingly, I get another call from France and I am told that this is not enough. However, the most beautiful part arrives now: they propose a replacement with another PC with the same features, so again with Intel HD 630 and Display 4K! Are we joking?! Do people at Dell have an idea of what they are talking about? 

5th solution offered (see solution 3): The poor Dell customer service staff, tired of having to find solutions to a product evidently and admittedly not ready for the market, decided to take refuge behind their legal department, saying that the Italian 24-month warranty provided in Italy does not apply. Too bad that I have not invoked it under any circumstances, but I have instead always and only asked for a FEASIBLE SOLUTION, from “Pro Support” which is meant to offer support of a high level. 

Latest update: On 06/09, I called again the customer service and managed to get the name of the french supervisor I was in touch with by phone. I decide to send him an e-mail, and guess what happens next? Absolutely nothing. No reply! 

As of today, there is still no communication, because obviously they needed to show their superiors that they have "closed" a case pending for more than 50 days. A case they have not been able to provide any solution to. I guess then that the “Pro” stands for “problematic”, since the only option they will give you is to accept any unreasonable solution they will provide you with, like going back to the country where you purchased your laptop if you want to see your consumer rights respected. So, guys, moral of the story, if you happen to work with your (I would add extremely expensive) laptop and you are going to be outside the country of purchase, be ready to be left high and dry. This is the Dell Pro Support. 

Well done, Dell!  Thanks for ensuring myself and everyone I know never buy from you again. 

TL : DR – I paid $3200 a couple of months ago for a Dell laptop that is not ready for the market, with a 4K screen and integrated graphics card that doesn’t fully support it.  And I can’t get a refund unless I take it back to the country I bought it from (which would probably cost the same as the laptop itself) despite having Pro Support.  Oh, and I’m absolutely ropable.

1 Message

July 6th, 2019 10:00

that laptop has a gtx 1050 AND intel hd 630. THe HD 630 wont support 4k. THe 1050 will. the problem resided in device manager. u needed to uninstall HD 630 completely to only the microsoft display adapter . then manually install 1050 drivers.  it would have been fine then

No Events found!