Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

October 30th, 2015 14:00

Fake Dell support constantly calling

I'm getting repeated calls from what's clearly a fake Dell support stating my computer is sending messages to Dell servers and they will login and remove the error files. 

The concerning part is they actually have the Dell service tag number, my name as registered with Dell and the email registered with Dell.. 

I would suspect the service tag is hidden somewhere in the registry as I don't see it on the windows properties area, but getting my registered name with Dell is concerning. 

You can hear when they call, a whole band of them in the background saying the same ole speal and they have their act down to the average joe. 

Today alone I got 2 calls from them from 2 numbers including,

481.637.5818 and 279.318.0000 

This is probably the 20th time or more they've called, each time noting a little more info they have on me which is classic of a phishing scam.. 

I wouldn't hesitate to believe that one of those Dell utilities have a defect in them as I rarely see them update, in comparison to normal windows updates. And since these Dell utilities are networked based, it would seem there might be a liability issue if one of these apps are found to have a security hole in them and no reasonable effort to update has come from Dell. 

But your company needs to get in front of these scam artists, its not rocket science to trace their phone calls location, its clear its VoIP. How about publishing an app that trace routes their position and sends that data back to Dell security teams? I'll happily let them in this old laptop and then fire off the app to track them down. 

But seriously, I've had enough. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 3rd, 2015 10:00

Thank you for posting your comments on the Dell Community Forum Customer Care Board. Please be assured we take the security of your information seriously and the personal information given to us by our customers is protected.  We may share your Personal Information with subsidiaries or Business Partners to carry out transactions you request, or to make our business or that of our subsidiaries more responsive to your needs.  Personal Information collected may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Dell or its subsidiaries or Business Partners maintain facilities.

Please submit the Report Phone Scams form located on our Customer Care Board Wiki under the Scammers posing as Dell Technical Support article. Our Privacy and Security investigation teams will contact you if additional information is needed.  

Thanks,
Lorna

No Events found!