Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 4th, 2015 14:00

Horrible order support.

Went to place an order for a very expensive laptop.  Order did not go through (page basically said unable to process order).  So I tried again and it went through.  Awesome.   Found out an hour later that I now have TWO orders.

Emailed support immediately requesting cancellation.  No response.  Waited the 24 hours, and called order support and am told (repeatedly) that they cannot cancel my order.  Now, up until this point I would have gladly bought ONE laptop.. but not two.  No can do.  I am told they can't cancel it.  I ask who CAN cancel it.  I am told that nobody can cancel it.  Basically, tough luck.

Luckily I use Amex, and they were more than happy to help with refuting BOTH charges, and I will now be refusing shipment on BOTH laptops, and ordering a new Lenovo instead.

I was a long time Dell customer, both personally and when ordering servers, PCs, etc. as a CTO.  Needless to say, this experience was so bad that I will never order from Dell again, either for my family or for work.

135 Posts

November 20th, 2015 01:00

Refusing delivery is indeed your best option.  Dell will tell you that it is not their preferred way for you to handle this situation and that it will delay the refunding of your purchase, but since you were smart enough to use a credit card my experience is that their claim is simply not true.  And accepting delivery opens the door for them to charge you a restocking fee as the unit become considered a return rather than not-delivered.

I also recently had a colossal fail with a $16,000 Dell PowerEdge Server order.
Successfully entered the order online, got both the order acknowledge email, and then the order acceptance (aka they were able to charge the credit card), and was given a expected delivery date.  Then the fun began...  order delayed once, twice, then three times.  Each time calling customer service and being told to wait, but no items are on backorder, a problem with "logistics" (whatever that means, the person that said it certainly did not know what it means).  On to posting in the forum and a seemingly friendly moderator offered to look into it but never did.  On to writing Mr. Dell (not sure I can post his email here so email me privately is you want it) which yielded a call from a 'escalation team' person that despite an absurd amount of calls and email could never tell me the reason for the delay other than that it was a 'configuration issue'.  Without explaining the reason he somehow wanted me to reorder, for what, so I can waste more time to have that order fail too? No concern was expressed about why their system accepted an order that they could not build.  I think this was not something they ever considered as they clearly have no procedures in place on how to communicate a fail like this to a customer.  Not a call or email from manufacturing, not a customer service person (or supervisor) that could figure it out, not a Community Forum Moderator, not a member of Mr. Dell's escalation team.  A total fail.   And this is not a desktop or laptop but a Server, the most profitable division of Dell as far as I know. 

Guess who I will be ordering from instead?  Not Dell!

November 12th, 2015 18:00

Good for you....I'm getting ready to send back 3 computers if they ever get out of the processing stage. What has happened to Dell:? They've outsourced everything and now after being an avid Dell user for 15 years, I'm finished with them. Dell needs to get back to the U. S. to regain some of their lost customers.

September 25th, 2019 08:00

I placed a late night an order for a laptop and mouse using an account I have had for years. I checked it the order the next morning and realized the account had my old address, so I changed it. I tried to update the order but had to go through Order 'Support'.

While completely polite, they were less than useless, actually being a detriment and consuming my time with no return value. I was told they could not change the address on the order for the mouse because it was already packed for shipment but the laptop address would be changed. I was fine with this because I could hold the delivery for pickup with the carrier, which is near my house and on my daily route to work. They suggested I go to the old address and intercept the delivery or cancel the order.

When I then receive the tracking number for the mouse shipment I immediately go to the carrier website to place a hold for pickup status. I then find out that DELL sets the delivery so that NOTHING can be altered. WTF? This is why carriers have the vacation hold option on their websites. What if I had to leave town for a day? Does my order sit outside? And no, they didn't wait for a signature - so much for Dell's 'security' on the delivery.

So my wife calls the carrier's customer support trying to place the hold and gets directed back to Dell customer support because they set the option to be useless. They reassure her that they can change the shipping address to match the new address on the account for the laptop. At least that won't be a problem. She is also told the address for the mouse could be changed in transit before delivery and that they couldn't do it before. Fine, whatever.

I get a call from Dell the next day telling me the address can't be changed for the mouse and that if I can, intercept the delivery at the old address, otherwise I should cancel the order. I say I will pick it up, not happy about the lack of support.

I get the tracking number for the laptop a few days later and find that it is also in the same status as the mouse. Delivery is to the wrong address and the status cannot be changed.

I have been lied to numerous times. I should have known, from previous experience. That was why my old address was on the account to begin with. I swore I wouldn't go through Dell ever again. Maybe this time I will learn.

• 

25.7K Posts

September 25th, 2019 09:00

Hi, 

I read through your experience in purchasing the mouse and the laptop. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

If you have not received the orders yet, please let us know the order #, name on the order and the email ID to review and assist you further. 

You can write to us here for any query or assistance, we'll be happy to assist you 24/7. 

-Pratheepan. 

• 

25.7K Posts

September 26th, 2019 09:00

Greetings,

We have not heard from you. Hope your concerns are addressed. I will proceed to archive this request for now. Should you have any queries or need assistance, you could get back to us anytime, and we will be glad to assist you further.
-Pratheepan.

8 Posts

September 30th, 2019 16:00

There is a lot to be said, for walking into a Store/Shop on the high street. speaking to a person, face to face, and buying a product from them. I too have had a long drawn-out, time wasting exercise dealing with order support and sales at Dell. They kept me waiting a whole day to see if they could get me a "Deal", (Discount) on the price of the laptop i was interested in. They said they would get back to me shortly. A day passed and nothing, i had to contact them myself the next day. The sent me a quote for the laptop, with no discount???? One whole day waiting for NO discount?? I eventually ordered another laptop, and its nearly been a week since I placed my order and the transaction is still pending in my Bank account?? Wish i hadn't ordered from Dell in the first place. 

• 

25.7K Posts

September 30th, 2019 17:00

Hi Andy, 

I absolutely understand your concern. Sorry for the inconvenience you experienced. 

Please help with the order #, name on the order and the email ID through a private message. Let me check on the pending charges against your new order. 

-Pratheepan. 

• 

25.7K Posts

October 1st, 2019 10:00

Greetings, Andy!

We're yet to receive the order details from you. Only if I could have any reference to the order, I would be able to review this concern. For now, I will archive this request. Should you have any queries or need assistance, you could get back to us anytime, and we will be glad to assist you further.
-Pratheepan.

No Events found!