Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

September 1st, 2015 17:00

Horrible ordering experience for Alienware products

Here is my horror story with Dell with a final date of 9/1/15.

I work for Citizens Bank and I'm a member of the Del Purchase Program. I originally had applied for Dell Financing on or about 8/15/15. After I had entered my info at the website, I was approved for financing but was unable to start using my acct number immediately due to a system issue with dell. When I called to get my account number, I was told that the only way to get it would be to wait 7 to 10 business days to get it in the mail regardless of the system error that had occurred when I had originally applied.

I did finally get the letter with my acct number 10 days later and I was in the process of moving at the time. When I went to place the original order for an Alienware, X51, along with a 29 inch monitor, battery backup and a small tablet, I received an order number for everything but the computer. I figured that since the computer was going to be custom built that an order number for that would be generated at a later date.

I did wait for a few days and then called the sales department to verify what the status of the computer order was. I was told that there was a "system" issue and somehow the order was cancelled. I was told that the only thing that I could do was to replace the order. (That call I was on the phone for exactly 2 hours trying to get this straightened out.)

I then did try to redo the order on 9/1/15 and decided to instead purchase a Dell Alienware 51 instead. I did get the confirmation this time but a few minutes later I did receive an email stating that the order was on hold and that I would have to call 866-228-9620. I called the number as requested and I was told that I would have to verify some information to prevent identity theft.

I did tell both reps the address that I had originally had applied for financing with and the address that I had officially moved to as of Sept 1. I was able to verify and old phone number that was on my credit report and I told them that I've had a new phone number for over four years now. I provided my current phone number which does show on my credit report.  They were not able to verify me and said that I would be receiving a call back for further verification.

While I was talking on the phone to them, another colleague at that location called me back and told me to call back 866-228-9620 and ask for Cathy as soon as I had received this message. I called back and asked for Cathy and they were unable to connect me to her. I asked for a supervisor to clear up the matter.  

I provided the same information for a third time and was given the same generic response. (He was unable to confirm that their policy is to have another colleague call me back. He also said that at this time I would now have to wait 5 to 10 days for additional verification to be completed and he wasn't able to state how I would be notified that it was completed. The only option that I was given was that I could speak with the sales dept and place my order with another form of payment. If I had wanted to pay with a credit card, I wouldn't have bothered to apply for preferred financing.

I would suggest that everyone read this before making any kind of purchase from Dell in the future. Four total hours on the phone doesn't make up for the small discount I was receiving by ordering from them based on where I work.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 16th, 2015 08:00

HI Trakken,

Thank you for posting your experience on the Dell Community Forum Customer Care Board. We appreciate anyone who takes the time to share their journey as customer feedback is an important tool used in evaluating our products and services.

I understand your frustration regarding Dell's attempt to protect your resources. If there were an improper purchase, we would much rather deny someone the opportunity of taking advantage of your good credit. It's a fine line to balance prompt product shipment vs. illegal purchases. In the long run, I think you would agree it's better to err on the side of caution.

Potential Flags for Orders and Customer Accounts:

Different Bill To Address and Ship To Address

Name on the card or account holder does not appear in the Bill To

Phone Numbers that do not match the City, State or Zip (cell phones provided when there is a known home phone)

Hot States for theft like: New York, New Jersey, California & Florida.

Ordering multiple products with high dollar amounts

High dollar products like Software & Peripherals, shipping to a residence

This will advise Dell, Inc., and Dell Financial Services (DFS) are two separate entities. They do not share your credit information with us and will only discuss your account with you. I am happy to forward your customer information to DFS customer service representatives who will be happy to review your account. You may contact the Order Verification team by calling 1-800-571-3355. The seven digit extension provided via email allows you to speak with the agent who placed the order on hold. If the agent is unavailable you are given the opportunity to leave a voice message. If your order has been canceled and needs to be re-booked, you may call 1-866-383-4713. If you still need assistance, please reply to my email and provide the requested information so I may forward your customer account information to the DFS representatives for assistance.

Thanks,
Lorna

No Events found!