Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2017 15:00

Inspiron 7559, splitting near the rear left corner, not covered by warranty?

I got a Dell Inspiron 7559 in July 2017. The rear left corner is already pulling a part at the seam. It doesn't seem to be the hinge, but it does pull further a part when opening and closing the screen. I called Dell support. Even though the computer is only 5 months old, this problem isn't covered under warranty. Online, it looks like several other 7559 buyers have experienced the exact same problem. To me, it seems unethical of Dell to have a recurring manufacturing problem and refuse to repair it. Any suggestions on options to get the split repaired without spending $140?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

November 2nd, 2017 05:00

Thank you for your message.

There are no known systemic issues with the hinge up assembly on the model. Has the system been dropped accidentally or anything heavy kept on it? Normally this issue will not be covered under warranty as it is considered a Wear and Tear issue.

Please click on my Dell username and send me a private message with the service tag, registered name, and email address. I will look into this and assist you within the Dell support boundaries.

2 Posts

December 2nd, 2017 08:00

I'm actually having the same exact issue, and just a quick search on the internet I've found over 50 others with the exact same issue.  I just wanted to confirm that Dell is not recognizing this as a manufacturing deficiency and therefore covered before I start escalating.  

Thanks!

December 3rd, 2017 07:00

The Dell rep responds to me in private communications sticking to the story that this is not a manufacturing error.

The rep also said that I could mail the laptop to Dell. and their techs would review the problem. The email says they will fix the laptop if there are not signs of rough or abusive handling. My concern is that the laptop is missing one plastic vent strip, so there's a possibility they could say I've been rough on the laptop (I have no idea when the plastic piece broke off). If so, they'll charge me for the repair. If they look at the laptop and feel that it was not treated roughly, they'll repair the laptop at no charge--I just pay for shipping/handling. Either way, they never admit the manufacturing flaw.

This approach is a win-win for Dell. They can say they'll look at the laptop and seem like a nice corporation. They can fix it without admitting it is a manufacturing error. They can require payment to fix it without admitting their culpability with the manufacturing problem.

I feel stuck. I don't have the extra income to pay for a costly repair. I saved for months to buy this laptop in the first place.

No Events found!