Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2016 18:00

Is there anything else I can do about this NIGHTMARE of a situation? SIX problems with my 9343 XPS13

Last summer I bought a 9343 from Dell Outlet, I was so happy with it. (When I first got it.) Excellent build quality, awesome battery, and I love the screen (didn't opt for a qhd, but still. DAT BEZEL) Well, it's been 10 months now, and I've had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS with it. Within a month, the laptop was having issues. The PC would shut off for no reason and restart. This was happening frequently and was very frustrating.

Dell responds by sending me a replacement laptop. "Great", I think. They upgraded me to the i5 version.

But wait, there's more.

Laptop began having display problems. The screen would flicker and go black when adjusted in certain positions, getting progressively worse.

I called Dell, and their customer support resolved the issue by sending someone out to replace the screen on thereplacement computer. He fixed it and I thought, "Finally, now the problems are resolved."

Little did I know, this was just the beginning.

Like clockwork, about a month later, I have yet ANOTHER problem with my replacement computer. PC is restarting again, shutting off randomly. I spent hours on the phone this time, getting transferred over and over and over to different representatives. Must have gotten transferred 6 times.

Dell's response?

Send out a flash drive with Windows 8, because Windows 10 must be the issue. Yeah, okay.

The thumb drive didn't fix my problem.

Call Dell, get transferred a few more times, spend another few hours on the phone.

Dell offers to send out a service technician. This was getting extremely stressful, as I had moved into my dorm and it was inconvenient.

A man comes to my dorm, spends about an hour on my computer. He replaces the motherboard.

"Great," I think. JUST WAIT, there's MORE.

I have more problems with restarting. I call Dell, get transferred a few times, and they end up sending me a cardboard box so I can send my laptop out to their depot. I received no temporary replacement, even after requesting one. Stress continues to build, as I can't do my schoolwork without a computer.

After about a week and a half I get my computer back, and the report from the depot was a faulty fan, and they replaced it.

Laptop works great for a few more months, and then my webcam stops functioning. I have also had wi-fi connectivity problems, but I dealt with them because frankly I didn't want to deal with Dell anymore, and I think they were getting sick of hearing from me.

Until a few days ago, when my laptop shuts off with no warning. The computer has done this a few times now, and so I called Dell, immediately requesting a supervisor. I run the diagnostic tool, everything is supposedly working (although the CPU thermistor was showing 81C). I give remote access to my computer. The technician updates drivers, BIOS. Says it should be fixed, sends me an email to reply to if I experience more issues. An hour later, my laptop is shutting off again. I reply to the email and request a new system. He calls me and denies my request, saying all they can do is ship me a box to send my laptop out to the depot (7-10 business days, I've done this before.) I will be receiving no temporary replacement, and with finals coming up, I am so stressed out I'm considering getting a MacBook Air or something.

How is it this can be happening to me? I feel like I'm running out of options, and dealing with this laptop is becoming a literal nightmare. What are my options?

TL;DR My XPS 13 (9343) has had so many problems (that I'm considering Apple. I've had 5-6 major problems with my system and I've been horribly inconvenienced.

9.4K Posts

April 26th, 2016 08:00

Hi ceberg1881,

Thanks for posting.

I apologize that your system is not functioning the way you need it to.  Per the terms of the warranty agreement, after troubleshooting our obligation is to repair your computer until it is functioning properly.  It appears we have replaced the malfunctioning parts and have offered to repair it again at no cost to you.  

Since that is not working for you, I would suggest that you ask the technician for a replacement unit (of equal or better value), but since we do not have any more in the Outlet, repairs appear to be the only option.  You could also contact the Unresolved Issues department to see what else could be done.  Thanks.

Regards,
Robert

No Events found!