Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2015 09:00

Lost me as a customer due to interest rate

I have had a dell account for so long that I can't even remember when I opened it. I work about 70 hours a week and don't have a lot of time usually, but I've had some days off over the holiday to look at my bills and noticed that Dell is charging me almost 30% INTEREST. I've been making some pretty chunky payments and couldn't figure out why it wasn't going down faster. I called them and told them that I wanted to cancel my credit account and that would be the last purchase I make from them. They didn't even offer anything. He was readily willing to cancel, no questions asked. I've spent a lot of money with them and this is how they handle it? DONE. Gonna spread the word far and wide, too. Dell has some good products, but doesn't give a about customer loyalty or service.

2 Posts

January 2nd, 2015 13:00

I don't ever recall seeing that anywhere and the gentleman on the phone who closed the account for me never said a word about it.  He seemed more than happy to close my account.  I work 70 hours a week and don't always have time to read the fine print on everything I do in my life.  My bad, I suppose, but I feel that under any scenario, 30% interest is, quite frankly, predatory.  I always thought of Dell as a stand-up company and I've enjoyed my relationship with them until now.  Won't buy from them again and will make sure nobody I know does either.  Apparently when I first got the credit account, I must have stayed within the payment guidelines and assumed it would always be like that, but boy was I in for a surprise.

Anyway, water under the bridge now.  Account is closed and I'll find somewhere else to purchase my computers from in the future.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 2nd, 2015 13:00

Are you saying that you were never told of this interest rate in any email or paper statement?

This FAQ is very clear in its language, "If not paid by end of promotional period, account balance and new purchases will be subject to the Standard APR rates, which range from 19.99% - 29.99% variable APR, as of 11/30/2014, depending on creditworthiness. Offers subject to credit approval and may be changed without notice.".

"Your DPA account interest rate will not increase unless your account has been open for at least 12 months except when:  (1) A promotional rate on your account expires; (2) There is an increase in the Prime Rate (DPA annual percentage rates are variable and fluctuate with changes in the prime rate); (3) You are more than 60 days late in making a payment; (4) You complete a temporary program, such as a hardship program; or (5) if your APR has been decreased pursuant to the Service Members Civil Relief Act and your term of active duty expires."

No Events found!