Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2017 12:00

McAfee - 12 month subscription

I just purchased a new XPS SE Tower.  I received the order summery and there was a charge for MaAfee 12 month subscription.  When purchasing this product there was no option to opt out of the purchase.  I tried to chat about the order and they told me to call a number to change my order.  I talked to "Maria" who could only tell me the charge was part of the product and could not be removed.  I asked if there was a way to purchase the system without the McAfee and she kept repeating it was part of the product.  She told me I should look at the web site to see if I could buy it without the McAfee.  I asked to talk to someone that could help me and she just kept repeating the charge was included in the purchase and to go look at the Dell site.  

If you are going to give a 12 month subscription then don't charge for it, or if you do charge allow the option to remove it.

I would like a refund of the $44.10 for the McAfee, a product I do not want and have no intention of using.  I have been a Dell customer and fan for years and would like to continue buying your fine computers.    

ACC

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

October 25th, 2017 14:00

Hello!  So I went to the XPS SE page and did find that the McAfee software is included in the price, so while you can add components like a better CPU or different graphics card you cannot remove the security software component as it is built into the base price of whatever model you chose.  

October 25th, 2017 15:00

There are two issues here.  First it is a line item that shows up in the product summary after you purchase the PC that wasn't listed with a cost before purchase:

1 525-0036 McAfee Live Safe XPS 12 Month Subscription

$44.10

Second is when I asked if I could purchase the system without McAffee I was told to "look at the Dell web site" then I asked for someone to help with that "Maria" refused to help me or give me a contact or department for help.  Just bad service on their end.

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

October 25th, 2017 17:00

Sorry about that.  Dell breaks down every part of their computers including software on the summary sheet, then the costs associated with it.  If lets say you bought the 1299 XPS SE version, as long as your summary total cost doesn't go above that, then yes you are paying for it technically but its also classified as included in the price.  It would be nice if you could remove it as I'm with you in the boat of 'i don't use it' but they probably have some deal with Mcafee.  

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

October 26th, 2017 07:00

Thank you for your message.

We hear your complaint, but Dell is not going to offer any refunds. The sales site specifically states, "Included in price" =

Capture.JPG

Please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the order number, registered name & email address.

No Events found!