Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 6th, 2013 21:00

Paid for a Dell Outlet New laptop, but got a Refurbished one?

I purchased a DELL xps13 laptop from Dell outlet at the end of March, 2013. During the on-line purchase, the sell representative told me that the item I purchased is a “Dell outlet new” one, which had never been used, and is different from those refurbished items. So I ordered this laptop, and the price I paid was ~$100 higher than the refurbished one. I have the original chat log to prove the above statement. But within one week of receiving the laptop, I found there are some problems with this laptop. So I contacted the tech rep of Dell. After hours of on-line help, the tech rep suggested to do the replacement as the problems cannot be fixed. A couple of days later, I received the replacement item. But it was a desktop. I contacted the DELL and returned this one. Then a couple of days later, I received another replacement item. But it was labeled as “refurbished”. I believe I should get a Dell outlet new laptop for the replacement, as I paid for a “dell outlet new” but not a “refurbished” one. And more importantly, it was within 15 days when I first contacted the tech rep of Dell. So I contacted DELL tech support again, and told him my concern. However, I was told that what I initially received for this transaction was a refurbished one. And for the subsequent replacement (as there are problems with the laptop I purchased), I can only get a refurbished one. Then he sent me a confirmation email, and asked me to reply with the statement that I agree to accept a refurbished item for the replacement. If I don’t send back such statement, the replacement cannot be processed. I rejected this requirement, so I cannot get a replacement. And as there are some problems with the laptop I purchased, I cannot use it, which is quite inconvenient. I feel I was cheated by the Dell sell rep, and then blackmailed by the Dell tech rep. What I frustrated experience I have with DELL! Can anyone in the forum help to fix this problem? Thanks in advance!

8.8K Posts

September 8th, 2013 15:00

FLER,

What the rep told you was correct.  When buying from the outlet store they computers are refreshed. That only means in some cases they customer could have changed him mind before he opened it or returned it w/in 21 days. It is true the initial one you purchased was a refurb. but it comes with a full Dell warranty. All refurbs. are tested before sold.

Zb1

3 Posts

September 8th, 2013 16:00

Hi Zb1, thanks for your response. I trust what you said, and now I believe what I have received is a refurbished item. Then I don't understand why the DELL sale rep told me that my laptop is a "brand new, which has never been used". Only for this reason, I choose the "DELL OUTLET NEW" category but not the "certify" one. For the same laptop with same configuration, the former is ~$100 more expensive than the latter category. It's quite clear the sale rep deceived me during my on-line purchase. Is this allowed by DELL? IF NOT, please let me know what should I do next. Thanks! I paste part of the on-line chat log for your reference:

03/22/2013 12:47:28PM FLER: "what's the difference between certified refurb and dell outlet new?"

03/22/2013 12:48:45PM Agent: "the certify has been used for less than 21 days and the Dell Outlet ne has ever been used"

03/22/2013 12:49:44PM FLER: "so dell outlet new measn brand new"

03/22/2013 12:49:50PM Agent: "correct"

03/22/2013 12:49:55PM FLER: "i see"

03/22/2013 12:50:09PM FLER: "so can I switch to the dell outlet new one?"

03/22/2013 12:50:25PM FLER: "here is the ID: F5A1TM36"

03/22/2013 12:50:27PM Agent: "let me see if there is any"

03/22/2013 12:50:36PM Agent: "yes please remove it from your cart"

03/22/2013 12:51:41PM FLER: "done"

9.4K Posts

September 9th, 2013 12:00

Hi FLER,

Sorry for the confusion with your computer order.  By Law, the US Federal Trade Commission bans deceptive labeling in the sale of any product. This means that returned items cannot be sold as new, and retailers who sell rebuilt or otherwise remanufactured items must label them as such and not sell them as new items. If an item has merely been re-shelved without being used by another consumer, retailers should indicate that. Likewise, recycled materials cannot be reused to construct new goods.

Here is a link to the FTC website:  http://ftc.gov/bcp/index.shtml

The explanation can also be found on the Outlook website.  Just click on the question mark on the page where I've indicated.

Hope this helps, let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Regards,
Robert

3 Posts

September 10th, 2013 14:00

The problem is that the laptop I originally received was not labelled as "REFURBISHED". That's why I felt so surprised when the tech sep told me that the laptop is refurbished. It is seemingly that there is a misconduct by DELL, as it "deceptive labeling in the sale of any product".

Can anybody tells me what to do next? Thanks!

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 10th, 2013 15:00

I am locking this thread. You may continue to debate this issue with Robert via private message.

Click on his username in blue, then click Send a private message.

No Events found!