Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2017 13:00

Poor Business Model - Won't Be Buying Dell Again

As I told Alejandra Mendez, the technical support 'supervisor' (who obviously has no pull in these matters), Dell has a very poor business model, and as such, I will not be purchasing Dell products again.  Furthermore, while in the beginning I was willing to let bygones be bygones and move on, I witnessed actions that absolutely incensed me. From that point, I made it clear that I would be voicing my story to anyone who cared to hear it, and let them decide for themselves if they wanted to go through what I went through.

• June 10, 2016: Purchased a Dell Alienware R17 laptop from Micro Center in Troy, Michigan.
  • July 9, 2016: Realizing I'd not yet registered the laptop, I did so online.  The Dell support site final my laptop in its records and says that my standard warranty will expire July 9, 2017.
  • July 23, 2017: A bluish haze appears on the left side of my laptop's screen.  I double-check my warranty information online, and sure enough, it says it expired on July 9, 2017. I contact Dell support and speak with Carlos, and he tells me my laptop is out of warranty so they can't service it.  I explain 'yes I know', but is it possible to at least cut a deal on repairs?  I mean let's face it - we're talking about 2 WEEKS out of warranty here, and this was obviously an inferior screen.  He says no, and out-of-warranty repairs would run well over $200, sorry.  He says I could have first asked to extend the warranty, THEN told them about the problem, but because I told them about the problem FIRST, they can't cover it now even if I do extend the warranty.
  • July 24, 2017: I receive my first email from Alejandra saying 'sorry we can't help you, but let us know if you decide to pursue the out-of-warranty repairs.'  I reply, voicing my displeasure to Alejandra, detailing the entire story as I did with Carlos, especially with regard to the warranty date.
  • July 25, 2017: I receive an email back from Alejandra saying that my warranty expiration date was actually APRIL 9, 2017, so no, there's no way they can cover this.  I go into the Dell Support Center, and sure enough, my warranty expiration date HAS BEEN CHANGED. After an angry exchange of emails, I'm told that warranty periods begin from the date of manufacture, even if the product is sitting on a store shelf in a box. If I provide the receipt, they can update the warranty date.  I said, WHY BOTHER, you're not going to cover this under warranty anyway...still, I provide it and tell them unless you plan to make me an offer of $150 or lower to fix this, shove it. I can do it myself (and have, with other laptops).  I tell Alejandra this is a pitiful business model, providing warranty for materials for one year, then getting more money by way of either extending the warranty or post-warranty repairs, not to mention playing games with warranty dates, and I will repeat this story to warn others.
  • July 27, 2017: Today, I get a response (Dell's mandatory last word) saying they can't cut deals on post-warranty repairs.

And I, in turn, am repeating this story to warn others.  I will not buy Dell again.  Ever.

Brett G. Scharnhorst

No Responses!
No Events found!