Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2016 11:00

Poor Quality Laptops and Horrible Service

My experience with Dell has taught me never to buy any Dell product again.

To begin with, the product I bought (Inspirion 7348 2in1) is a very poor quality product. After 4 months of light usage (microsoft office, emails, surfing), the motherboard, hard-drive, and screen broke down. THIS IS A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY!

Because I bought Dell Pro-Support Warranty, I called for it to be repaired. The Dell Support telephone line is such a hassle. It takes very long to talk to someone and it charges you for your calls (I spent 30GBP trying to call them and follow up with my issue). I was calling from UK. Some agents were very nice and helpful, but one of them was very rude. He had an Indian accent and his name was Debanjan. I called Friday and asked him to get my laptop fixed on Monday. He told me Tuesday was the earliest and I cannot do anything about it (in a very rude tone). I asked him how I can retrieve my files from the hard drive. He told me he doesn't know the answer because it is not part of his job.

My laptop broke Feb 5, 2016. Today is March 3, 2016 and the laptop has not yet been completely fixed. A technician came to replace the motherboard on Feb 8. After 3 days, the laptop broke again and the issue worsened. There was a time bomb beeping sound.

Another technician came on Feb 15 to fix the laptop. He was unable to do so because he claimed that it was a lcd screen issue and he had no spare part for it. He suggested to request for a laptop replacement because of faulty assembly.

After 1 week, someone emailed me that it will take 1 month to transfer the warranty and to order a new laptop. Since my warranty was about to end and I felt that Dell was stalling, I told them to just fix my current laptop and replace the broken parts ASAP. Also, I cannot wait for a month and not have any laptop because I am a MBA student.

Someone came Feb 26 to replace the motherboard, hard drive, and lcd screen. The laptop finally worked but while the technician was replacing the lcd screen, the plastic near the hinge broke and chipped off. He tried to hide it and kept on closing the laptop. He told me someone will call within 24hours to tell me how to fix it. Nobody called so I had to make another call myself to the really tedious hotline.

I called again to get the chipped off external shell replaced. They scheduled for a technician to come on March 2, but the technician fell ill so they postponed and promised to prioritize me the next day. Unfortunately they called again the next day and told me they cannot make it because I requested for a change in location which was 5 minutes away from the original location. I told them I can revert to my original location, but they said it was too late. They were trying to make up a reason to blame me for the cancellation.

I asked them to come tomorrow but I am not sure whether they will come. They don't set a fixed schedule when they come. They expect customers to stay in 1 place the whole day and the technicians decide what time they will go to you. Also, they call last minute and cancel their appointment when they are not yet done.

I have lost hope for this Dell Inspirion 7348 laptop. I regret buying a Dell Laptop. I could have just bought a Mac Book Air and not go through all the hassle Dell is giving me. The price of a Mac Book Air 13" 2015 non-HD i5 model is the same as a Dell 13" Inspirion 7348 HD i7 but the quality is better for the former. Dell scrimps on quality to maintain its low price. The plastic body of the laptop makes the internal system of the laptop prone to a lot of damage. If you are planning to buy a laptop and think that Dell is a better value because of the price and better internal specs, you need to think twice. The quality of a laptop is not just about the internal specs but also about the external shell/body.

I am so disappointed and frustrated that's why I am using my time to write this review.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 10th, 2016 08:00

Hi kaldy, 

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns and observations on the Dell Community Forum Customer Care Board. Customer feedback remains our most important tool for evaluating our products and services. We appreciate you as our customer, and sincerely regret any frustration or disappointment in our products or services. Dell strives to provide all our customers with a satisfying and enjoyable purchase experience. 

Under the terms and conditions of service, Dell requires you to remotely troubleshoot the technical difficulties. Once a diagnosis is determined, parts are sent to a local technician who then schedules an onsite visit. If the Field Service Representative (FSR) determines other parts need to be replaced, he will call Dell tech support and place an order for the new parts to be dispatched. Depending on how long it takes for the parts to arrive, the local technician will then call to schedule an appointment to replace the new parts. It’s difficult to set a fixed appointment since due to unknown circumstances, a repair may take longer than anticipated. I believe it is common for the technician to call when he expects to be about a half hour away. In most cases that should give you enough time to get to the agreed upon location before his arrival. 

I’m unfamiliar with the date range for a system exchange and the transfer of warranty for the UK, but one month seems a little longer than it would take here in the US. If you require an exchange and you are nearing the end of your warranty, you may want to opt for that solution. Since extended warranty is not available after the expiration date if a new issue has been diagnosed, I always recommend our customers purchase the greatest amount of extended hardware warranty while their current warranty is still in effect in order to protect their investment. Like all mechanical devices, computers are subject to hardware failure or accidental damage. Consequently, we offer warranty coverage and a choice of Service Plan Agreements that furnish our customers with a thorough range of coverage options at reasonable prices to protect your computer against life's incidents. 

Dell understands that customers may not always have time to spend on the telephone and provides alternative ways to contact us. In addition to contacting us on the phone, 1-800-624-9896, or here on the Dell Community Forum, you may contact us through our online chat technical support, or contact us via twitter @DellCares. DellCares is also available on #Google+ for order support, troubleshooting help, and more.

I trust this information is helpful. Should you still need assistance, please reply to my email and provide the requested information. I am happy to forward your concerns to representatives supporting the UK.

Thanks,
Lorna

No Events found!