Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2012 17:00

Potential Dell Scam Australia

I have just received a voicemail message from a lady claiming to represent Dell..

The lady knew my name and had a phone number which is not listed under my name (it's under my employers name and unlisted) but IS associated with my Dell login which is strange.

The message stated that the spare part i had ordered for my motherboard was delayed and that a technician would contact me shortly. The lady left a contact number of 02 8002 5210 and quoted a reference number of <ADMIN NOTE: Reference no. removed per privacy policy>.

Given i had not ordered a part i suspected that this was some sort of scam so i contacted Dell via the phone number listed on the website to check.. As suspected there was no part or order under my name.

What is of some concern is the fact that the person contacted me on the phone number associated with my Dell account and used my correct name!

Is it possible that someone has managed to get my details from Dell Australia? I note that there is an article claiming that Dell Australia user details were stolen late last year.

FYI i have saved the message and my provider allows me to forward voice mail messages to other Telstra mobile numbers so if someone from Dell wants it i can send them the message!

240 Posts

November 20th, 2012 01:00

Hi Feroxide,

Customer information is confidential and no one apart from Dell will have access to those information.

You had done the right thing by contacting Dell and would recommend you that in the near future if you get any of those calls be free to call Dell and verify if someone from Dell had called you.

Please do get back to us on any further information or assistance.

No Events found!