Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2013 00:00

Replacement using refurbished parts.

I bought a Alienware x51 desktop last year (around march of 2012). The desktop has been crashing around feb of 2013, the warranty was about to expire and i extended the warranty by one year to be on the safer side. In the past week the computer has been crashing daily  and is currently unusable. I contacted dell and they've sent me replacement parts. But the parts are refurbished and are not new. I do not want refurbished parts. I'm not interested in calling dell again in less than a month with the same problem or some other problem which is worse. I'd like the replacements to be new parts.

I called the customer care when the engineer had come to replace parts in the computer. I spoke to a floor manager (Puneeth). He did not comply with replacement using new parts and insisted they can only replace with refurbished parts.

1 Rookie

• 

445 Posts

April 13th, 2013 10:00

That's pretty much the way it's going to be with the refurb parts. I have had a Studio XP 435T and now a Aurora R4. When a part needs to be replaced it has always been a refurb part. If you need something like a graphics card replaced it is also going to be a refurb OEM part. That surprised me that is being done on a upper end computer, but that's the way it is. Dell said that there is no difference on OEM equipment and brand named, but all one has to do it look at the specs, there is a difference. Dell is not the only computer campany doing that, they all do. It's just SOP.

3 Apprentice

• 

8.8K Posts

April 13th, 2013 12:00

Dell is not the only computer campany doing that, they all do. It's just SOP.

Lenovo replaces parts with new parts.  I was reading an article about this the other day.
Zb1

1 Rookie

• 

445 Posts

April 13th, 2013 21:00

That's good to know as most of the biggies like HP, Gateway, Asus and others all use refurb parts   .:emotion-3:

1 Rookie

• 

445 Posts

April 18th, 2013 09:00

Chris... After reading that article, it appears that us people with Alienware/Dell computers have it pretty good when it comes to replacement parts.   :emotion-11:

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 18th, 2013 09:00

"Lenovo replaces parts with new parts.  I was reading an article about this the other day. Zb1"

Not according to users on their Forum? They appear to send refurbished parts like every other OEM.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

May 25th, 2013 17:00

If a part has been discontinued and is no longer being made, thus unavailable, the option would be to use a refurbished one.

No Events found!