TAO-VIC
1 Copper

SCAM - Tech Support Call

I have received over 50 calls  either from people claiming to be or directly from Dell Tech Support (according to the phone number)---and decided to answer one yesterday...

I asked them to ID my address and Service Tag, on file--- they did so accurately and then told me when I they had last services my laptop...

I was alarmed when told that "Dell" was getting a "malware warning from my computer", AND that I should STOP all internet Purchasing and Banking". When I inquired to get more detail, i was instructed in how to get to a directory of DLL.EXE files--- which I was told were actually evidence of the malware...

They graciously told me that I could handle the situation myself--- but then offered to walk me through it...

I agreed, right up until they referred me to a website that would have me give them remote control of my computer...

Alarmed at what I was seeing, I made an excuse to get off the phone (telling them that they could call me back in an hour. I then googled "Dell Scam" only to find that this SCAM has been going on since 2010...

WHAT is DELL doing about this tech support "insider SCAM"...?

14 Replies
nobodypanic
1 Copper

RE: SCAM - Tech Support Call

Dell has been sweeping this under the rug for over a year now.   If you call Dell to ask about it they give you a pretty much non stop run around.    

Its disturbing and annoying.    My guess the problems it causes for some of their customers is less of a risk for them then to come out and say there is a problem. 

But as we speak right now, there are Dell customers being ripped off, and it is Dells fault.   I have been trying to get them to do something about it for over a year now.  

One Old Dad
1 Copper

I have experienced identical work.  I have since this call been trying to get the supposed Dell support to quit calling me.  Telling them so as many as 10 times with no luck.  Now we block their numbers as my wife gets the calls as well.  We need to get this stopped in some way other than lose our phone number.  We now have medical reasons to answer any phone calls we don't know and this Dell thing is getting ridiculous after almost 2 years of fighting this mess.  And nowhere can I report a problem directly to dell other than a phone call.

8 Xenon

0 Kudos
nobodypanic
1 Copper

What is this in response to?

0 Kudos
nobodypanic
1 Copper

The problem is its not Dell calling you.  They are scammers claiming to be dell.   At some point Dell has either had a data breach (hacked)  or someone at their support center is leaking information. 

Dell cant do much now as far as stopping the calls, the cat is already out of the bag for us.  But they can do a better job of informing customers what is going on instead of just feeding us lines of ***.  And of course working to prevent it from happening to new customers. 

At this moment I cant buy or suggest anyone to buy a dell product.  

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Protection of your data is a top priority for Dell. Unfortunately, technology phone scams have become prevalent across our industry.

We’d love for you to take a moment to help us stop cybercriminals by reporting details about your interaction. Would you please complete this form www.dell.com/reportphonescams? This will allow us to investigate further. 

Regards,
Robert

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
DannOh14
1 Copper

"Unfortunately, technology phone scams have become prevalent across our industry."

Sure it is, what is not prevalent, and not acceptable is that they knew my service tag!

kevinkkh01
1 Copper

Hi Robert,

I've been receiving hundreds scamming calls for the last 3 years until today I still receiving call from the scammers. What is dell been doing about it?

Kevin H.

nobodypanic
1 Copper

I am sure like me,  the others have filled out forms and even called to try to find out what the heck is going on.  Dell refuses to address the situation properly.  Plus very time I call I get a crazy run around by  a staff that seems to have no idea what they are doing.  Or who do not want to deal with it so they dont bother calling people back after promising them they would do so. 

I am very tired of the canned "unfortunately, technology phone scams have become prevalent... " response. 

How did these scammers get information they should not have?

How many customers have been scammed already because Dell doesn't want to admit there is a problem which they have failed at addressing properly?