Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

April 29th, 2016 16:00

Scam Callers

Same thing this evening.  Told him it sounded like a scam, give me a number to call me back.  Claimed his name was "Stephen Black" with his Pakistani accent!  Call back number is/was 650.424.1237.  Call came from 512.487.7415.  Claimed they had my service tag number too. 

Ironically I nearly fell for it since I'd had to deal with Dell's miserable customer service last year that is off-shore with employees from Pakistan or India who have a fleeting grasp of English. 

Looks like Dell Computer has had a massive security breach and our customer information is freely available to scammers.

Last Dell computer I'll buy.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2016 08:00

Hi TerrapinTimeOut,

Thank you for contacting us on the Dell Community Forum Customer Care Board regarding unsolicited calls claiming to be from Dell Tech Support. This is currently an industry wide problem and is affecting other well-known corporations including Microsoft, Apple, and in a variation of this scheme, the IRS. We advise customers to immediately hang up and call Dell if they have any doubt that a call offering support is legitimate.

We are actively investigating these reports and that work is aided when customers contact us. We established a process enabling customers to report this type of tech-support phone scam at https://marketing.dell.com/reportscams. Customers can find phone and web-based support options at: www.dell.com/support. Additional information is available regarding Scammers posing as Dell Technical Support, and a commentary about this issue is on our Dell corporate blog

Thank you for your participation in our efforts to track these scammers. 

Sincerely, 
Lorna

No Events found!