Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 19th, 2020 17:00

Service Tag Invalid

(ASK FOR HELP)

Hello everyone, I just bought used/secondhand alienware area 51m, but there is a problem.
My service tag not valid, but when I use dell support assist software, it is valid/detected.
Anyone have solution about this?

area51m st.PNGa51m.PNG

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

December 20th, 2020 12:00

Hi @rakaman the Dell System Service Tag is a unique alphanumeric identification for your laptop. Dell SupportAssist has already detected your laptop's Service Tag.  When going to Support for Alienware Area-51m Drivers & Downloads, click on the [Detect Drivers] to customise updates for your laptop.

When your new owner application for Dell Product Registration is confirmed, you will be given access to your Dell Warranty options, to extend or upgrade your Dell Warranty. The vendor should notify Dell of the owner transfer. If the vendor is not the owner, Dell support will request copy of invoice so that your ownership can be validated. 

Go to bottom left hand corner and type msinfo32 into search, System Information will confirm your mainboard's System Service Tag, etc

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

December 19th, 2020 20:00

Hi @rakaman  welcome to this user to user forum. 

The Dell System Service Tag is part of the main board serial number. Install a different main board, the Dell System Service Tag of your computer will change. 

(This forum does not allow the use of System Service Tag in its public posts. The System Service Tag can be used in Privates Messages. If your images contain System Service Tag, their release will not be authorised.) 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 20th, 2020 07:00

You don't need to have the service tag on a used computer. Just use the model number to get drivers, etc. The tag is for original owner warranty support.

Support for Alienware Area-51m | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

December 20th, 2020 07:00

It's a question for the seller.  As noted, the mainboard may have been changed - but only the seller can tell you.

Your best bet is to ensure you can register the service tag that does resolve.  You'll likely need the seller to provide the ownership information - - if they cannot or will not, return the system for a refund.

1 Message

November 21st, 2021 09:00

Mary, 

I have a Vostro bought new and can’t get through to tech support because my service tag, model number etc. are not recognized any help would be greatly appreciated

No Events found!