Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2016 18:00

Service Tag Not Recognized

I received a new XPS 8900 a week ago.   I registered the PC during the initial setup.   My service tag and express code still are not recognized on Dell's support site.   I have called Customer Support and gotten various different answers and 'they cannot help me until I give them a valid service tag'.  I am giving them the tag and code that is on the box,  the PC, and from the SupportAssist app.   All match.   How do I get past this issue and get my warranty period recognized on SupportAssist?  Please help.

Thank you,

Charles

1 Message

March 16th, 2016 20:00

I have the same problem. I've just received a new XPS 8900 with the wrong Service Tag and Express code. Both codes point to a Latitude E5500, not my XPS 8900. Phone support said they didn't know what was causing the problem, how to fix it, or how long it would take to fix. Please advise, as I'm not comfortable with my new computer reporting to Dell that I have a Latitude laptop, when I just opened the box today on an XPS desktop. Thanks.

March 16th, 2016 23:00

Interesting.  My original issue was 'invalid tag' and no info was returned.  That was fixed today but I now have the same issue as you.  My XPS 8900 is described as a Latitude E5500. 

Check you components list on the System Configuration section of the Product Support page though.  Mine says XPS 8900 in the Components section  and all the details match my PC.  Just the Computer Model field is wrong.  Unfortunately, that model field is what sets the driver page.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

March 17th, 2016 08:00

Chazmanandvi,

I apologize that the support page is showing a different model.  However, as I said privately, your service tag issue has been resolved, and it is recognized by Tech Support and Care as an XPS 8900. 

Please use the manual selector to find your drivers on the support page, rather than relying on the service tag feature. 

I'll be notifying the Support Page team and let them know this is happening.  Thanks.

Regards,
Robert

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

March 17th, 2016 12:00

Hi Stockmavn,

Thanks for posting.

I apologize that it appears your service tag is showing a different model. 

I'd be happy to look into this, please contact me privately and include your customer number, order number, and the service tag in question.  Thanks.

Regards,
Robert

March 25th, 2016 16:00

Stockmavn,

Did your error get fixed?  I'm still seeing mine as a Latitude laptop on the Dell support page.

1 Message

April 11th, 2018 04:00

I'm having the same problem with my XPS 15 9530. Service Tag Not Recognised by Dell Website or Programs.

Can Dell please assist me with this.

1 Message

April 14th, 2018 02:00

I have an Inspirion N5110 and I am trying to reinstall its OS with the OS recovery tool and it does not recognize my service tag or expree service code.

Can Dell help?

1 Message

November 23rd, 2018 06:00

Same issue with my TB16 dock. Can you assist/contact me pls?

December 19th, 2018 12:00

Hey guys, I recently purchased a Alienware 15 and the Dell site and Dell Support Assist says it doesn't recognize my Service Tag, please could someone assist. Regards, Daynne

1 Message

January 31st, 2019 05:00

How do I contact you privately? I have the same problem with an older dell laptop I am trying to save from the landfill but can't find the correct wifi driver.

No Events found!