Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2012 20:00

So sad - new Dell Laptop arrived today D.O. A.

Last Wednesday I got a bonus check at work.  I'd been wanting a new laptop {my current one I got in 2005 and runs Windows XP} so I jumped on amazon.com and ordered a Dell Inspiron N5050.  It was due to arrive on Thursday so I was really excited when I got home from work today to discover it had already arrived.  I took it out of the box plugged in the power and pressed the start button.  It beeped 3 times and went to a plain white screen.  Nothing else happened.

I tried it again with the same result.  So I called customer service. I was on the phone for almost an hour!  Since it was a brand new, unregistered laptop the customer service rep had to try to get it registered.  It took FOREVER!!! Then I was told the mother board had failed.  They will send out a box for me to send it in for repairs.  I should have the box within 2 business days, the repair takes 7 to 10 business days then 2 business days for return shipping,  

With any luck my BRAND NEW, UNUSED COMPUTER WILL BE BACK IN MY HANDS IN ABOUT 3 WEEKS.  That is so sad, disappointing and totally unacceptable. I feel like I flushed $515 dollars down the drain.  I have no faith that the repaired computer will last very long.  

The customer service rep asked if I wanted to buy the extended warranty.  GOOD GRIEF~~ I think I should have been offered a free extended warranty since out of the box it doesn't work.

I just had to vent - guess I got a lemon.

4.4K Posts

November 28th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

I am sorry about the trouble you're having with your new system.If its an issue with the motherboard most likely the whole motherboard will be replaced and system will be tested thoroughly before it is shipped to you.

Please feel free to private message me your system service tag number if you need an update on the status of the repair.To private message click on my user name and click start conversation.

Thank You

November 28th, 2012 21:00

Thanks much for the reply

Yesterday I received the box to send the laptop in for repairs.

Today I dropped the box off at FedEx - the label was for ground shipment to Houston, TX

Yes the laptop will be repaired & returned.  It's just so disappointing to have to wait another 7 to 10 business days for repair plus whatever shipping time is.  You buy something brand new and expect it to work - not be a big hassle.

4.4K Posts

November 29th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

I understand this is not what you expect when you order a new system.After the system is repaired we ship it back with a Next Day shipping(method) to make sure you get the system within 24 hrs (on a business day) after it is shipped.

If you can private message me your system service tag number,I would be happy to check  and keep you posted on the status of the repair.

To private message click on my user name and click start conversation.

Thank You

November 29th, 2012 17:00

I sent you the service tag and FedEx tracking number this morning

I just checked the FedEx tracking - since the box / label I was sent by Dell was for ground shipment, it is not expected to reach the repair depot in Houston TX until December 4, 2012.  

That is Tuesday of next week.  I received the "dead" laptop on Monday 11/26/12.  So we are at 7 days plus repair time and return shipping time before I have it back.  

Really, really, really disappointed.  Kinda ruins the gift.  

No Events found!