Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2014 08:00

Transfer Ownership of Alienware Laptop Purchased on Woot.com

I am experiencing a problem with the soundcard on the Alienware M18x laptop I purchased from Woot.com on December 2. This problem is an issue known to Dell/Alienware. However, when I called to request a service call, I was informed my laptop is not registered to me and that I must transfer the ownership. (I find it odd that Dell mailed me a booklet with the purchase ID and service tag for the laptop but yet doesn't have me in its system as the owner.)

The online request to transfer the ownership of my laptop that I submitted yesterday was rejected. The reason? "We cannot transfer this tag at this time as the Previous Owner Information is not a match. Please note that the previous owner information must match the Dell system of record in order to complete a transfer request."

I listed "Woot.com" as the company name of the previous owner and listed Woot.com's Richardson, TX zip code as required on the form. No dice.

The Alienware technical service representative I worked with told me to call Dell Customer Care, but after an hour of waiting on hold, I thought I'd ask here if there's any additional information I need to get this laptop's ownership transferred to me so I can get the soundcard problem resolved. I have already contacted Woot.com in hopes that someone at that company can provide assistance, but those hopes are too high.

Can anyone help me out here? Or am I just stuck with flashing the BIOS and reinstalling the soundcard driver every day because there's no way I can get the ownership transferred to me and thus get some real technical support?

Thanks!

2 Posts

February 18th, 2014 10:00

Actually, Dell bought Alienware in 2006 or so. Instead of dismantling the brand, it still sells systems with the Alienware badge.

8.8K Posts

SNWalker

I just went to their site to see what they're about.   As far as Alienware   Customer Care telling you to call Dell customer care, that makes no sense as Dell and AW are two separate entities basically.

You need to find out from Woot who the previous owner was?  If they are just basically a reseller as the site appears to be, they should know this info.

Sorry not to be anymore help, but this really is out of our hands.

Z......................

8.8K Posts

Actually, Dell bought Alienware in 2006 or so. Instead of dismantling the brand, it still sells systems with the Alienware badge.

True.   But Dell doesn't deal with Alienware issues and vice versa.

Z.......................

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 18th, 2014 14:00

Private message received.

No Events found!