Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2016 08:00

Two hard drive failures in 6 months, Dell is a joke

So some idiot told me to take my technical problem here (even though it says NON-TECHNICAL problems).  It WAS on the desktop support area.

I bought an XPS 8900 for Christmas - I work from home and teach online - computer engineering and databases no less.

So I now have an 850$ boat anchor on my hands.  Hard drive died a week ago - Dell sent onsite tech to replace.  Guy took 5 minutes, said You'll be fine. Thing died in about 10 minutes, saying "Windows could not complete the installation."   Rinse and repeat - second hard drive installed today - Guy took 5 minutes, said "You'll be fine."  Thing died again after 5-10 minutes.  "Windows could not complete the installation."

The first failure, Dell supervisor in India (surprise, surprise), said they would replace my computer - well I guess Dell allows their supervisors to lie through their teeth.  And of course there is absolutely no record of anything - they probably put me on the line with the garbage man.

After FOUR HOURS ON THE PHONE after the second drive failure with Dell the tech person finally threw up their hands - they could not figure out what was going on.

I am now told to JUST PUT IT IN A BOX and send it to the address I'm supposed to receive in an email.  They will Repair it AND SEND IT BACK TO ME.  This company and their tech support is an absolute joke.

It has now been 48 hours and I am still waiting for an email.

I Will NEVER EVER EVER buy another Dell.  Period.

8 Posts

July 20th, 2016 08:00

It has now been 48 hours since I originally posted this on the Support > Desktop forum, and I am still waiting for an email telling me where to send this boat anchor.

Additionally, in the original email sent to me telling me I'd receive ANOTHER email with sending address, the link where I am supposed to TRACK my dispatch can find no record of my request.

8 Posts

July 20th, 2016 10:00

Dispatch number they sent me in an email does not exist on their system now.

WILL SOMEONE STEP UP and PROVIDE WARRANTY SERVICE ????  It's obvious you don't give a rat's backside about your customers.

8 Posts

The Globalization of customer service stinks.

As many of you know my wife teaches online, in the graduate IT program at Boston University. She needs a first class desk top to operate Oracle software. For Christmas we agreed to get a computer and extended service warranty from Dell.

Half a year later we find ourselves in computer repair *** with our only life line a phone connection to the Philippines. What we have to show for it is two DOA hard drives and an ongoing phone relationship with underpaid people who live in Manila and/or India.

We’ve clocked more than eight hours on the phone and my wife, who is more volatile than I am, was able to teach several Filipinos some new English words and phrases. Words and phrases I hadn’t heard since I was a 20 year old Teamster.

This morning was our eighth call to that Pacific Island nation. I was able to develop a relationship with Cef. I’ve always been good on the phone. Please pray for us, the Farrs, OK and pray for Cef too. I really do hope she can find a good paying job where she doesn’t have to listen to PO’ed Americans.

After several days and false starts we have a promise of getting the computer repaired. We’ve heard this once before but there is a commitment of free shipping and Cef sounds like she truly cares. I have to admit I’m much more of an optimist than my young bride, I'm talking about Pamela. I want to make it clear I just have a phone relationship with Cef.

8 Posts

So now I have two dispatches which have been canceled, and one which is delayed.

Would SOMEONE FROM DELL PLEASE MAN (OR WOMAN) UP ???

Dispatch entry:

Related service calls and dispatches

Call type:DDF

Call type:

Call type:

Call type:Next Business Day

Qty Part # Description
1 6TFN1 HD,1T,S3,7.2K,512E,SGT-GRDABP2
1 6U703 ATTN,HDD WITH IMAGE

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

July 20th, 2016 13:00

Hello! Sorry you are having so many problems.  Give Dell-Robert P. a private message with your computer service tag and name etc. by clicking here.  Give him a day or two to respond. 

No Events found!