Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2013 00:00

Unable to redeem gift card

Hello,

I was trying to redeem my Dell promotional e-giftcard, when I realized that It was expired, but then I also notice at the end of the card the following paragraph:

" *PROMOTIONAL CARD DETAILS: Redeemable for the purchase of merchandise or services at www.dell.com or 1-800-727-6000. Available funds EXPIRE 90 days from the issuance date (except where prohibited by law). ...."

Well, I'm currently located in the State of Florida, and the e- gift card sent to me was because of an order I made on Dell.com, that was delivered to my office in the State of Florida, here the expiration dates on gift cards are prohibited by law. And I will quote some of it anyways, for general information:

"....(2)1(a) A gift certificate purchased or credit memo issued in this state may not have an expiration date, expiration period, or any type of postsale charge or fee imposed on the gift certificate or credit memo, including, but not limited to, service charges, dormancy fees, account maintenance fees, or cash-out fees. However, a gift certificate may have an expiration date of not less than 3 years if it is provided as a charitable contribution, or not less than 1 year if it is provided as a benefit pursuant to an employee-incentive program, and the expiration date is prominently disclosed in writing to the consumer at the time it is provided. In addition, a gift certificate may have an expiration date if it is provided to the recipient, or to a purchaser for transfer to the recipient, as part of a loyalty or promotional program when the recipient does not pay a separate identifiable charge for the certificate, or if it is provided in conjunction with a convention, conference, vacation, or sporting or fine arts event having a limited duration so long as the majority of the value paid by the recipient is attributable to the convention, conference, vacation, or event. An issuer may honor a gift certificate that has expired on or before the effective date of this act. ..."

I'm posting this because I want to know how can I get a new gift card, I'll normally wouldn't take the time to do all of this. But the card that expired was for the amount of $259, that was given to me because I bought a $5000 Alienware Laptop. Please, I need some assistance on the case.

Thank You Very Much.

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2013 12:00

Its a promotional card not a gift card in the traditional sense, which is how they get around the state laws regarding expirations.  Basically they give you cash back on a promo card or promo e-card that expires 90 days after and if you don't use it, you loose it.  As far as I know there is nothing you can do about it.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 4th, 2013 05:00

Hi JFANDR147,

Thank you for posting your comments regarding the expired promotional gift card. I am happy to look into this matter on your behalf.

Please send the following customer account information via private message (click my user name and then click Start Conversation). 

Name:
Email Address:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
Order Number:
Service Tag #
Reason:

Thanks,
Lorna

2 Posts

April 9th, 2013 13:00

I have the exact same problem. Any luck with this? Loma can you also help me?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2013 07:00

Hi Hitesh,

Thanks for the eGift Card status update; I'm happy I was able to help. Please let me know if I may be of any additional assistance.

Thank you for choosing Dell,
Lorna

No Events found!