Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 3rd, 2015 14:00

Very frustrating experience with Dell

I have had a of an experience with my Dell Inspiron 5437. I received this unit in November of 2013. When I originally received the computer the motherboard was bad and I sent the computer to get the motherboard replaced. In January of 2015 the LCD Panel started to fall off and the computer wouldn’t start (I got an error message telling me to reseat the hard drive). I sent in the computer beginning of January and the LCD panel was replaced. Following that call I had to send the computer in again mid January because the computer still wouldn’t start. The depot replaced the Heatsink and Palmrest and sent the computer back to me. The computer still wouldn’t turn on so I had to send in the computer beginning of February of 2015 and the motherboard was replaced. I received the computer back and there was a strange lag between when I pressed the power button and the computer would go on. I didn’t proceed to call Dell back immediately to get the issue resolved since I needed a working computer and was happy that the computer would at least start. 

Finally two weeks I choose to contact technical support to get the issue check out. On the piece of paper I indicated that the computer had a strange lag at startup and that there was a dent on the left side of the palmrest (which happened during the last repair at the depot). I did not cause this damage. I received my computer back today and was very surprised. When I opened the box I noticed that the plastic pieces which were meant to hold the computer in place, during shipping, were loosely flying around in the box. The computer arrived damaged. The right hinge is completely broken, the computer will not close all the way, and there are scratches all over the bottom of the computer. I proceeded to look at the repair paper and saw that the DPK card and motherboard were replaced. I attempted to turn on the computer and it wouldn’t start. I got the same error message that I got back in January telling me that the hard drive isn’t being recognized and that I should reseat it. 
In conclusion, this is now the third time my motherboard was replaced. I called technical support today and they informed me that I could send in the computer to the depot again to have the motherboard replaced. A supervisor later offered me to send out a technician to my house. I have previously had bad experiences with dell technicians at my house and will not send the computer to the depot again. In my opinion the best option would be to replace this computer. The motherboard has been replaced three times so far and will need to be replaced again. A motherboard costs around $200… $200 times four is $800 and the computer was also damaged by the depot and during shipping so the palmrest and hinges would also need to be replaced, maybe even more components since I don’t know what is broken inside of the computer from not being packed properly by the depot. I have sent the computer to the dell depot five times now four times in the last half year and the motherboard has been replaced three times. I’m pretty sure that you wouldn’t want to keep a computer in such a condition either and understand that I need a system exchange. 
My case was escalated to the escalations team now and they are only offering me to send the computer to do depot. I will be moving to Germany in a few days to study and am very disappointed that I won't have a working computer. I really don't think I'm asking for too much to have my system replaced. 
I would greatly appreciate if you could help me process a system exchange to finally get these issues resolved.
Thank you

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 5th, 2015 07:00

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your comments on the Dell Community Forum Customer Care Board. We appreciate anyone who takes the time to share their customer journey. Please accept my apology for any frustration or disappointment your technical difficulties may have caused.

Please note, I am not technically inclined and will not be able to troubleshoot your system. If your case has already been elevated to our Executive Escalations Team (EE) Team, I will not be able to intercede on your behalf, as their authority supersedes that of my department.

Additionally, even if they were to offer an exchange, it would not be possible to provide the system in “a few days” prior to your departure to Germany. System exchanges can take up to two weeks, depending upon the system model availability.

I trust this information is helpful. Please continue to work with the EE technician to complete the repair of your system.

Thanks,

Lorna

No Events found!