Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

June 7th, 2018 10:00

Video upgrade ripped out/discarded during warranty repair

Word of warning: if you ship a system back for warranty repair, remove ALL upgrades or risk them being ripped out and discarded. They will offer you ZERO compensation.

My XPS 8700 locked up during a BIOS upgrade and was unbootable, so I arranged a warranty repair. A couple months earlier the original video card had failed (Radeon R9 270) and I upgraded (Radeon RX 560, $169) rather than get a warranty replacement. Really nice upgrade - it let me run 4K @ 60Hz. But I left the new card in when I returned the machine. My mistake... I did not disclose this on the shipping form. 

Their diagnostic must throw an error for any part that is not original configuration, because the machine was returned with the perfectly good RX560 gone and a new R9 270 was in its place. The RX560 was almost new and worked properly in every way. Dell was prompt in returning emails and even called me on the phone but said nothing could be done (except send the power cord they failed to return also).

I politely asked if they could offer even a small coupon towards another accessory and they refused. I have bought about 10 new Dells over the past 20 years, most financed through DFS. A little effort would have gone a long way here. Not happy.

No Responses!
No Events found!