Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 1st, 2021 11:00

XPS 8940, dead motherboard, awaiting replacement for 3 weeks

I made the mistake of buying a Dell XPS 8940 which failed after 29 days.  I spent $2,500 on this system only to have the motherboard fail.  Tech Support said they would send someone else to replace the motherboard with a refurbished part.  I said I did not want the computer pulled apart and then have a refurbished part and that since I was within the 30 day period I wanted to cancel the purchase.

A supervisor got on the line and told me if I did not cancel the order I would have a new system within 5 business days.  I unfortunately agreed to that as I thought that was a reasonable offer.  That was over 3 weeks ago and 16 different interactions with Dell.  No one can tell me where the replacement computer is and each time I am told I will have it within 48 hours.  My last interaction I was told to call Customer Care to cancel and get a refund.  They told me that I could not cancel as the 30 days was up and no Supervisor was available to speak with me.

So, here I am no computer to work, no idea when I can get a replacement and one dead Dell computer.  I cannot even post a review on the XPS product page to warn people not to buy this garbage.

Service Request Number

I am filing a complaint with the BBB now too.

• 

17K Posts

July 13th, 2022 04:00

Update = After completing troubleshooting, a DELL-Cares agent setup a part replacement.

• 

25.7K Posts

February 2nd, 2021 09:00

Hi, I am so sorry for the delay you are facing with your exchange. While we'd love the opportunity to regain your trust, we understand how frustrated you must be.

I have looked into the case and have involved every support function I have at disposal to work towards addressing your concerns. I'd like to share you timely updates on the progress of the case, and a private message is preferred to keep your personal details safe.

I will look forward to hearing from you. Just click on the username and select Private message.

• 

25.7K Posts

February 4th, 2021 17:00

Hello. We just wanted to follow up. Do you still need any assistance? We will look forward to hearing from you. Just click on our username and select private message.

Capture.JPG

2 Posts

February 26th, 2021 10:00

Oh, my XPS 8940 motherboard dead on Feb 24, 2021.

The replacement part may take a month or longer.

Maybe I should start to harvest the parts and build a new PC just without Dell.

Asus motherboard + Good PSU + Any AIO.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

August 15th, 2022 08:00

It is now August 2022. The system still hard freezes and shuts down and reboots itself. I have some info here:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8940-crashing-issues-since-December/m-p/8251201#M74182

This is an ongoing issue - and it is unknown if this is a Windows, Intel, or Dell issue. My last reinstall of Windows was just over 3 weeks ago and the issues have returned. 

Good luck to all with this issue. 

No Events found!