Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

5 Posts

January 31st, 2022 07:00

XPS 8950 Delays: Looking for an estimate

Hello. As expected, today I reached the third delay for this order.

https://imgur.com/O76NMjQ

Now that we're well into the semester, I'm concerned about whether or not this computer will even arrive in time for senior project tasks. I've had support contact me previously, but all they could provide was the estimate as listed in the image already, and that it was due to a part shortage (but what part?).

Listings with comparable parts are starting to pop up from other manufacturers as well now, which is making me question whether it's best to look elsewhere or wait it out. An estimate on how long the wait is expected to be would be greatly appreciated, as the current "Estimated arrivals" seem to be autogenerated, and moved back at set intervals when the date is reached. Is there any word on how many more delays this product is expected to receive?

14 Posts

January 31st, 2022 19:00

I was told it was rtx 3080 causing delays. I'd really like to know how many orders are ahead of mine or a realistic timeframe. Dell should know how many orders they have and how many 3080s are coming in. Let me know what they tell you I'll share my story too

January 31st, 2022 20:00

Will do. None of the supports that contacted me pointed to a specific part (despite asking every time..), so thanks for that info. As far as I'm aware, there was a user that had ordered on Dec 7th that got his pushed back to some point mid-Feb. I'm interested to see if his gets delayed again, because when I read that, I already knew my "Feb. 3 Estimate" would be delayed. The frustrating part is that Dell fully knew that too, but for some reason is withholding the information on where we're at in the queue. (ex. "_____ dates have now received their order, thank you for your patience" or something of that nature).

February 1st, 2022 07:00

Order 1:  I placed my order on Dec. 15th. Dell sent me a delay, Order 2:   I canceled my order and reordered. The new order shows I'll get two weeks sooner than the one I canceled. Order 3:  Next's delay I canceled my order and reordered. This new order shows I'll get two weeks sooner than the one I canceled. Delay Order 4: Canceled my order and reordered.  This new order shows I'll get two weeks sooner than the one I canceled. Today Dell sent me a DELAY, DELAY, DELAY, e-mail and I canceled. I don't think I can do this anymore. I HAVE NOT REORDERED. I think it's time to look else were....

February 2nd, 2022 07:00

Still not sure I'll reorder.  Went to that computer place with egg in its name. If I build a computer at that place, with the same parts as the Dell (they list the parts that are in STOCK, and the parts OUT OF STOCK) ... All the parts for this Build are in stock, just saying.  Dell told me they were short WI-FI.  

• 

25.1K Posts

February 2nd, 2022 08:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us here & sharing the issue with the order. I understand it is confusing to have varied information about the shipping information of an order.

While I understand what you say but being a build-to-ship order manufacturer it is difficult to confirm a fixed date to build & ship an order.

It is always an estimate only. The dates shared by the sales rep or available on the site is an estimate.

The order fulfillment can be affected by various reasons like delay in payment, verification issues, part shortages, quality check as well as logistics.

We always have been able to fulfill all the orders before the committed time with exceptions in a few cases.

-Anita

February 2nd, 2022 08:00

Similar experience.  I cancelled a previous order placed Dec 26 for one that showed "Item is Ready to Ship" on Jan 13.  Yet somehow it didn't ship until Jan 29.  It was supposed to be "Expedited" shipping, however I have no idea what that means because it's showing it shipped "Ground" service, and won't arrive until Feb 10.  How is that expedited.  Also, mine has RTX3060Ti so shortage isn't limited to RTX3080.

To whomever at Dell is listening: It's understandable that there are delays in the supply chain.  But at least get it together to provide accurate information so we, your customers, know what to actually expect.  Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for one disappointed customer after another.

February 2nd, 2022 10:00

We always have been able to fulfill all the orders before the COMMITTED TIME with exceptions in a few cases.

WHAT IS THE COMMITTED TIME???????

February 2nd, 2022 11:00

I appreciate it, Anita. Additionally I apologize that this thread is seemingly becoming a hotbed for anger apparently, which is certainty unhelpful. There are some factors that are outside of Dell's control, after all.

I think a large part of the frustration stems from the aforementioned "few cases" during these challenging time, whether it's because of the large amount of threads I've seen on the delays, or the lack of upfront consistent information on the causes. It's understandable that there are a lot of moving gears in any one order; however it might be beneficial to know which set of orders have been fulfilled, which are being worked on, which are in queue, or something to that effect.

For example, if we know that "All November orders have now been completed, and we are doing our best with the December orders ____ through ____," then those that purchase it in February will know that the auto-generated delivery date of x amount of time is likely to be pushed up past y. I don't have a problem with the way Dell is handling to orders; it's certainly less hassle than it was to buy a gaming console in the current climate. Rather, it's a concern over the left-in-the-dark approach on estimates, as it would be extremely helpful to know whether we are looking at a few weeks or (coming close to now) a quarter of a year.

• 

25.1K Posts

February 2nd, 2022 13:00

Thank you for takign the time to message us over here. Please review yoru direct message I have given your order details that went into production.

-Susanna

February 3rd, 2022 16:00

Absolutely, the frustration is due to Dell seemingly being unable to provide reliable information. If I was told it's a 6 week lead time, fine!  That's pretty much expected now. But don't lure me into buying something that says "Ready to Ship", then tell me my order is delayed because of parts shortages.  The situation is no doubt made even worse when people start cancelling orders and placing new ones with seemingly shorter lead times - coming from manufacturing I can appreciate how this would cause a scheduling and inventory nightmare.

I would be really interested to see Dell's variance report on estimated VS. actual order fulfillment times. 

• 

25.1K Posts

February 4th, 2022 07:00

Hi,

I've not heard from you on the reported issue. Do share the order number along with the registered name used via PM.

I'll check & see what best can be done.

-Anita

February 7th, 2022 07:00

Ok I did a reorder today 2/7/2022 at 9:45 am NY time, for a XPS 8950 ($3953.78) and paid $49 for fast shipping?

Because I paid for fast shipping the site shows I'll get it Feb. 10-15.  If I get a Delay I will cancel.

62 Posts

February 7th, 2022 07:00

@Full Throttle 2   Your order can be delayed at numerous different parts of the process.  You can have a delay in getting the order "confirmed", you can also have a delay in it entering "production", and you can have a delay after it has been marked as "shipped".  

My order, with NEXT DAY shipping was marked "shipped" on Thursday 2/3/2022 and I still do not have my PC.  In fact this PC still hasn't even been delivered to FedEx, Dell still has my PC.

Once your order has entered production, they will not let you cancel.  From this points on, once you receive the PC you can return it however, any delay in the production or shipping process and you will be at their mercy until they actually deliver the PC to you.  Welcome to my special place living in "Dell"...

February 7th, 2022 08:00

I'm bad. I see I'm wrong on this. Went back and did a reorder and I did see I'm wrong.

Included means you will pay.

February 7th, 2022 08:00

After looking up my order I see I'm being charged for 

McAfee Live Safe XPS 12 Month Subscription 525-0036 1 $46.47 $46.47  
Killer (TM) Wi-Fi 6 1675 (2x2) 802.11ax Wireless and Bluetooth 5.2 555-BGST 1 $18.59 $18.59  
Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis, 1 Year 801-1849 1 $54.83 $54.83  

I did order these items. Dell chat said I have to paid it or cancel

No Events found!