Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2009 05:00

AX100i expansion

Hi

I am new to this forum, therefore I am not sure if this has been asked already.

I have an Ax100i populated with 5 x 160Gb disks - 4 in raid 5 and 1 spare.

I would like to expand by adding another 5x 250GB disks.

Is this possible or do all disks need to be the same capacity?

Is 250GB the max capacity that the system will recognise?

Thanks

MarkR

9.3K Posts

June 16th, 2009 09:00

Dell sold 500GB drives at one point for the AX100/i.

Drives don't have to be the same capacity, but keep in mind that the system only supports 1 hotspare, so if you put in larger drives and want hotspare coverage, be sure to unassign the current 160GB hotspare and make one of the larger drives the new hotspare (it can still take over for the smaller drive).

2 Posts

June 16th, 2009 09:00

Based on this info, does that mean I could just add two or three 500GB disks? or do I need to create a new raid set for the extra drives? with a 500GB spare.

What is the possiblity of the AX100i handling a 1TB disk? Has anyone managed this yet? Or is this beyond the scope of the firmware?

Thanks

MarkR

9.3K Posts

June 16th, 2009 13:00

If you add a 500GB drive to the existing raid set (of 160GB drives), you'll only be able to use 160GB of the space on them.

I'd suggest to create a new raid set (raid 1 if 2 drives or maybe raid 5 with 3 or more drives).

I think that larger drives were succesful for some people, but you'd have to use the search option of these boards to look for previous posts/questions about that.

I would however recommend not to use desktop drives. Instead, use nearline drives. Desktop drives aren't made for 24x7x365 operation where drives are bunched up against eachother. An example of a Seagate desktop drive is the Barracuda 7200.12, where Seagate's Barracude ES series is the nearline drive series.

No Events found!