Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2009 03:00

Ax150i - Storage System Faulted

My ax150i iscsi san is showing that the Storage system has faulted, but all the components, SP's are working fine, and the actual operation of the unit seems to be fine. Can you give me some idea as to where to go from here ?

Kind Regards

9.3K Posts

February 19th, 2009 06:00

If there are no fault lights on the unit, go to services and select to restart Navisphere Express. Do this for both SPA and SPB.

This won't affect any iSCSI connectivity.

Give the system 2-3 minutes and log back into the UI and see if the general fault is gone. If not, I would create a diagnostic file for both SPA and SPB and download them off of the unit.

At this point you have 3 choices;

- reboot 1 storage processor and wait for it to come up and then reboot the other (under services in the UI you have this option)

- reboot the whole array (fully disruptive for all servers using disk space on the unit) via services

- call Dell|EMC tech support and have them check the diagnostic files (and unless something shows faulted in there) and recommend to plan for a reboot (first probably 1 SP at a time, and if no better the whole thing)

4 Posts

February 19th, 2009 08:00

Ouch, restarted SPB, and started  getting alerts to say SPB is no longer managed. Decided to do a full system reboot, as wasn't sure if rebooting SPA would leave me with no mangement. Did a full system reboot, SPB is still showing as unmanaged, and the storage system as faulted. This is a legacy system I have inherited, and is truely awful !! The Dell Support site for the AX150i is currently down, so can't even see if there is any software available to cure the problem.

4 Posts

February 19th, 2009 09:00

Wierd. Left the storage unit as i was working on something else, then noticed the continous ping I had going with the second SP had started replying. Left it for an hour, logged onto the SPB, and that was showing all fine and dandy, but the store system still faulted. Went back another hour later, all was working, no problems. Really poor SAN, the md3000 is so much better !

9.3K Posts

February 19th, 2009 12:00

Rebooting a controller means exactly that; it's being rebooted, so it's no longer managed for a few minutes.

When rebooting SPA, the UPS will trigger a recharge, so after SPA reboots (and becomes managed), you'll have a fault till the UPS is fully charged.

This is normal.

The MD3000 is nicer than an AX150 as it can use both SAS and SATA drives, but design wise I do like EMC's design better (mostly the CX-series, but the AX4-5 series has come a long way since the AX100/AX150).

No Events found!