Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

4 Posts

December 4th, 2018 10:00

Bringing PowerVault MD3220i Online

We have a PowerVault MD3220i that is running but has no ethernet cables. Our admin is gone and I've inherited they system. My boss wants to use it and the MDSM doesn't locate it. I have plugged ethernet cables into each of the management ports, but MDSM won't locate it. What am I doing wrong? Is there some other port I need to have cabled so I can see this thing?

• 

7.1K Posts

December 4th, 2018 13:00

Hello Twyrch,

Do you have the serial cable that came with your MD3220i?  If you do then you can do a serial connection to one of the controllers and find the IP address of the management port.  Here are the steps to do a serial connection.    

1. Startup a terminal emulation program like PuTTY, Tera Term, Minicom, or HyperTerminal using terminal settings 115200-8-n-1.

NOTE: Windows Server 2008 does not ship with hypertrm.exe and hypertrm.dll. Customers wanting to use hyperterminal in Server 2008 must copy these two files from a Windows XP system.

1. Send a from the terminal shell. To do this, use within HyperTerminal or PuTTY, or use from within Minicom on Linux systems.
    • When prompted for input within five seconds, press for the service interface menu.

NOTE: The command is case-sensitive.

1. The user will then be prompted for a password. The password is: supportDell
  2. The menu options available are:

1) Display IP Configuration

2) Change IP Configuration

3) Reset Storage Array (SYMbol) Password

1. Q) Quit Menu

If you don’t have the serial cable then you can connect directly to the management ports on the controller and try using the default IP address.

Controller 0 IP= 192.168.128.101

Controller 1 IP= 192.168.128.102

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

4 Posts

December 5th, 2018 06:00

My Dell laptop doesn't have the ability to use the serial cable, so I'll need to connect to the management ports. I tried doing that by plugging the management ports into my switch and using the MDSM to reach it, but it is unreachable. Do I need to plug them into something else or reach the management ports a different way?

4 Posts

Am I supposed to plug my laptop's ethernet cable into the management port and reach it that way? If so, so I have to install the MDSM on my laptop?

• 

7.1K Posts

Hello Twyrch,

You can direct connect your laptop to the management port and use the default IP address and should be able to get into the controller.  You will need to install MDSM on your laptop.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

2 Posts

June 25th, 2020 05:00

hello,

I don't have the serial cable.

I would like to connect it to my laptop whether it is possible  - or - to a screen+keyboard.

My laptop has a usb and hdmi ports.

What type of cable/s do I need.

Thanks,

Efner

@DELL-Sam L 

@Twyrch 

No Events found!