Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 13th, 2017 02:00

DELL Power vault_MD3420 - Virtual disk not on preferred path error.

Hello Friends,

We have DELL MD3420 Power vault device with 2 SSD and 4 HDD. We've got an error message saying " Virtual disk not on preferred path". Can anyone please explain what is it ? 

Found below recovery step on the internet, 

Redistribute virtual disks manually can fix this issue.

My doubt is that, this storage device has database running 24x7. Doing above recommandation wont distrub my database ? Whether any downtime or restart required if i Redistribute virtual disks manually ?

Please advise to clear this error.   

• 

6.9K Posts

September 13th, 2017 08:00

Hello manicaps1,

The alert on the system is due to a virtual disk not being on the preferred path. When virtual disks are created, they are assigned to one of the two controllers as a preferred communication path. If that path is not available – due to a network issue, controller reset, etc. – the array will communicate via the alternate controller. In some cases the communication does not shift back to the primary path when it becomes available again. To correct this you just need to manually redistribute the virtual disks back to their preferred paths.

To redistribute virtual disks:

1.           Open Modular Disk Storage Manager (MDSM)

2.           Click on the Support tab

3.           Select Manage Raid Controller Modules

4.           Click on Redistribute Virtual Disks

You will get an alert telling you that this will disrupt communications if you do not have the multipath drivers installed. You can ignore this message and proceed. If you still have access to the virtual disk that is not on preferred path, you have multipath drivers installed.

Also, redistributing the virtual disk will not disturb the database as it is just moving the communication back to the owning controller of the virtual disk. There is no down time needed. If the error happens again then we may need to look at a support bundle from your MD3420 to ensure that there are no other issues.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

23 Posts

September 22nd, 2017 22:00

Thank you Mr.Sam. The issue has been fixed. 

23 Posts

September 25th, 2017 02:00

Hi Mr.Sam,

Please be informed that I have got the same error message again. We checked all the physical connection and noted those are fine. Again I did redistribute the disks. What would be the next step of troubleshooting in this ? 

• 

6.9K Posts

September 25th, 2017 14:00

Hello manicaps1,

How many virtual disk do you have on your MD3420? How many virtual disk are owned by each controller?

23 Posts

September 25th, 2017 22:00

Hello Mr.Sam,

Please find the details as below, 

Disk Groups - 2 

RAID 1 Disk Groups - 1, Virtual disks - 4

RAID 5 Disk Groups - 1, Virtual disks - 1 

RAID 1_SSD (2 physical disks) - RAID Controller module in slot 0,1

RAID 5_HDD (4 physicak disks) - RAID Controller module in slot 1 

Please check above details and provide me your suggession to proceed further to clear this error. Thanks a lot. 

23 Posts

September 26th, 2017 23:00

Hello Mr.Sam,

Good day

Any update or solution for this error from you ?. FYI, we have 4 DELL MD3420 storages with same firmware versions and same kind of configurations in different regions around. But I've this error on one machine only. Also, all hardware wirings are checked and confirmed those are connected firmly. Is this happening because of any hardware failure ? Do I need to contact my local supplier here ? Kinldy check my previous details and support me in this regard.     

• 

6.9K Posts

September 28th, 2017 12:00

Hello manicaps1,

In most cases when you are getting this error it is not a hardware issue. Can I get you to gather a support bundle so that we can review it to ensure that there is no hardware issue? I will send you an email that you can reply too with the support bundle.

1 Message

October 1st, 2018 01:00

The alert on the system is due to a virtual disk not being on the preferred path. When virtual disks are created, they are assigned to one of the two controllers as a preferred communication path. If that path is not available due to a network issue, check your network and set the path.

any issue with ms office click on this 

13 Posts

July 17th, 2019 01:00

Dear Mr Sam, I did the Redistribute Virtual Disk, it only optimized for 30 mins then it will go back to the error. Error show: Preferred owner: RAID Controller Module in slot 1 Current owner: RAID Controller Module in slot 0 Affected disk group 1 Virtual Disk(s) 2 How do i resolve this?

• 

6.9K Posts

July 17th, 2019 10:00

Hello l00lamos,

If you go to the virtual disk and change their owner to the controller that they are currently does the virtual disks switch to the other controller?  What is the current version of firmware that you are running on your MD?

13 Posts

July 17th, 2019 18:00

Hello Mr Sam,

My current Physical Disk Firmware is ST1000NM0045(DS04)

13 Posts

July 19th, 2019 02:00

Hello Mr Sam,

May i know how do i resolve this issue?

• 

6.9K Posts

July 19th, 2019 08:00

Hello l00lamos,

I was needing the firmware of your controllers in your MD not your HDD firmware.  Have you tried to change the controller that owns the virtual disk or no?

13 Posts

July 23rd, 2019 00:00

Hi Sam, This is the version  MD Storage Manager®     AMW Version: 11.25.0G06.0026 How do i change the controller that owns the virtual disk. i only keep redistributing but after a while the problem comes back

• 

6.9K Posts

July 23rd, 2019 08:00

Hello l00lamos,

Here is the link to the administrator guide and if you look on page 86 it explains how to change the ownership. https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/powervault-md3400_administrator-guide_en-us.pdf Can I also get you to send me a support bundle from your MD so that I can review it. I will send you a private message so that you can send me the log.

No Events found!