Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 30th, 2013 06:00

Dell MD3000i and Degraded Physical Disk Channel

Good day,

We have one storage Dell MD 3000i with one additional enclosure. And today we notice two errors in log:

1. Physical Disk channel set to Degraded

Date/Time: 30.04.13 10:56:14
Sequence number: 9783
Event type: 1209
Description: Physical Disk channel set to Degraded
Event specific codes: 0/0/0
Event category: Error
Component type: Channel
Component location: Physical Disk-side: channel 1
Logged by: RAID Controller Module in slot 1

2. Individual physical disk - Degraded path

Date/Time: 30.04.13 10:56:14
Sequence number: 9784
Event type: 1513
Description: Individual physical disk - Degraded path
Event specific codes: 0/0/0
Event category: Error
Component type: Channel
Component location: Physical Disk-side: channel 1
Logged by: RAID Controller Module in slot 1

Recovery Guru in this case say "You must contact your technical support representative to correct this failure. DO NOT attempt to fix this problem yourself". So, how we can receive technical support recommendations and try to fix this failure?

If need more detail, we can post any output from Storage Array Profile.

• 

7.1K Posts

May 8th, 2013 09:00

Hello UtkinE,

Yes you will need to stop all iSCSI traffic so that you can perform the NVSRAM update.  With the time out error that you are getting were all coming from controller 1 & it was only coming from drives 1 & 5.  The current version of NVSRAM that you are at is version 4 and the latest one that is for the MD3000i is version 13.  With having that old of firmware there were enhancements to correct your issue in later firmware versions.  I also had one of our analysts confirm this as well just to make sure that it is the best fix for your issue.  

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

10 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 02:00

Dear support. Sorry for long answer, but we have problems after restarting storage.

Storage start showing next errors:

Storage array:  DellMD3000i

Component reporting problem:   Host Board Left

RAID Controller Module: Slot 1

Service action (removal) allowed: No

Service action LAD on component: No

Storage array:  DellMD3000i

Component reporting problem:   Thermal sensor

Component requiring service: Temperature sensor

Also, we notice that all Ethernet ports (iSCSI and management) on controller in Slot1 periodical down for 1-2 mins. We have tried to restart storage, re-insert controller in Slot1 and wait some time, but situation is same.

For now, we put controller in Slot1 to offline mode, because I worry about iSCSI session from servers.

685 Posts

April 30th, 2013 09:00

What I would like you to do is go into the MDSM Software and go to the support tab and click on gather support information. That will start you on the process of pulling a support bundle. I will be sending you a direct message with me email address. Once you have the support bundle pulled go ahead and email me that zip fie and I will review it for you so we can find the best plan of action.

10 Posts

May 7th, 2013 01:00

Many thanks Kenny, but I not see direct message from you in my inbox, can you check pls.

• 

7.1K Posts

May 7th, 2013 09:00

I will send you a direct message & if you can reply back i can review the logs as well.

• 

7.1K Posts

May 7th, 2013 13:00

Hello UtkinE

Thanks for the support bundle.  I reviewed your support bundle and saw that you are in need of an NVSRAM update that can cause your issue.  Here is a link to the new firmware update that is needed. http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails/Product/powervault-md3000i?driverId=R315164&osCode=WNET&fileId=2731121564&languageCode=en&categoryId=SI

You will need to setup some down time for the san to apply the update.  If you are not able to do this then what you can also do is to pull controller 1 out of the san and wait 1 minute & then reinsert it & that should also clear the error.  The error is only present on controller 1 and we also see in the logs that it is stating a firmware issue as well. 

10 Posts

May 8th, 2013 01:00

Hello Sam,

Thanks for quick replay! And I have 2 question:

1) As I understand for update NVSRAM need stop all iSCSI session to storage, it's correct?

2) In log I notice many errors with description "Timeout on physical disk side of RAID controller module", "Destination driver error", what cause of this errors? Updating NVSRAM will resolve this errors?

10 Posts

May 8th, 2013 11:00

Ok,  We will try to update NVSRAM.

Thank you very much!

17 Posts

June 17th, 2013 10:00

UtkinE, did the NVSRAM Upgrade clear your errors?

685 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 13:00

Do you still have access to WEBUI? Let's get a new support bundle so we can see what exactly what caused the issue when the last reboot happened. In case you don't have my last email I am sending you a new email now. Please send me that report when you get it.

1 Message

June 2nd, 2014 12:00

I'm having the same issue but with Degraded physical Disk Channel and Individual physical Disk - Degraded path as well as degraded Virtual Disk.

Would anyone be able to help me resolve this?

• 

7.1K Posts

June 2nd, 2014 14:00

Hello Tech333,

If I can get you to gather a support bundle from the MD so that we can review it that would be great.  I will send you a private message to where you can upload the logs to.

1 Message

June 26th, 2014 15:00

Sam L.,

I see you have helped out several others with the above error.  I am getting the same error, Degraded Physical Disk Channel, on our MD3000i. Would you also be able to help me out with this error?

Thanks!

• 

7.1K Posts

June 27th, 2014 09:00

Hello jabar5623,

I will send you a private message via the email address that you have on your profile.  If you can reply back with a support bundle from your MD3000 I can review it & let you know what I see.

1 Message

August 4th, 2014 11:00

I am having the same issue. Would someone mind taking a look at my support bundle?

No Events found!