Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2007 20:00

Dell PowerEdge 2950, Qlogic QLE2462 and NetWare 6.5sp6

Using QL2X00.HAM v6.90.15. System boots up okay (must have STARTUP.NCF setup okay)and I can see HBA as new disk adapter in server's NRM - Disk/LAN Adapters. But when I go to console screen and list devices, I do not see the HBA ports. On EMC side as would be expected, I do not see the HBA ports as new unregistered HBA's. On Qlogic and NetWare sites, there has been some documented problems between the QLX00.HAM driver and NW65. Anyone able to get this combo working?

1.2K Posts

December 11th, 2007 07:00

Check the topology setting the hba bios. There are 3 settings, 0 - Loop only, 1- point to point only and 2 - loop preferred or point to point. The best option is number 2 as this will cover most situations. The setting can be found under ctrl-q during post then configuration settings > extended firmware settings > connection options.

2 Posts

December 12th, 2007 14:00

Have you check the Qlogic Web site under EMC software approved section to download the latest NetWare driver and BIOS for the QLE2462?  Did the QLE2462 driver load ok on your NetWare Server?   

4 Posts

December 12th, 2007 17:00

TranA thanks also for your response. Yes I went to Qlogic site. I flashed the BIOS to the latest (for my particular environment - v1.29) and am also using the latest version for the HAM (v6.90o) ....again with no luck. Since it looks like there has been some documented problems with the HAM driver, I also tried older versions (v6.90d & v6.90i) again with the same results...it doesn't work.

4 Posts

December 12th, 2007 17:00

Tommo666, thanks for your response. Checked my settings and it is at 2 (loop preferred or point to point). For the heck of it, I tried options 0 & 1 just to see if that made a difference - no change.

2 Posts

December 12th, 2007 19:00

My assumption is you are connecting to an external FC switch.  If this is the case, make sure to check your zoning.  Is your QLE2462 and the EMC array on the same zone set?

4 Posts

If I recall, it is not necessary for PowerPath to be installed for the Hardware to recognize all the parts are there.I have another server (Dell PE1950 w/QL2300 HBA)that I performed a test. I was able to bring up the server (w/o loading PowerPath) and all parts were recognized from the Novell side - I can see the HBA ports as a device and they present themselves as available partitions. On EMC side, I could see the HBA ports as unregistered Ports (using Navisphere). From this, I have to assume that on my Dell PE2950/QLE2462/NetWare 6.5sp6 system, something is not right. Since the server boots up okay but does not recognize the HBA as a device this leads me to believe its the HAM driver. Unfortunately the Dell/QLE2462 is a PCI-Express system. The QL2300 is a regular PCI slot card so I can't swap it to see if it works in the Dell PE2950. What is interesting is if you go to QLogic's site, EMC site or Dell's site, all these reference different versions of the HAM driver to use. You would assume the QLogic's site would be the right one to use but again there seems to be a history of problems with the HAM driver and NetWare.

1.2K Posts

Have you installed powerpath, i seem to remember the entry for PP has to be in the right place in the startup file of it won't work.
No Events found!