Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2015 04:00

Dell PowerVault TL2000 - Drive Comm Err Exception F101

Hi Dell,

We're having issue on our Powervault TL2000. display says Drive Comm Err Exception F101. I have tried different troubleshooting steps mentioned below but it didn't resolve the issue.

1. Shutdown/Restart the device (multiple times) still issue occurs

2. Reseat the drive sled still issue occurs

3. Replaced  the Fiber Cable still issue occurs

4. Checked the Qlogic Fibre Channel connected to Media Server host and confirmed working properly still issue occurs

5. Tried to save the Drive Dump but error occurred. it says:verify that the device is offline at the host prior exercising any service functions. Tried to stop all Backup Exec services and restart the TL2000 but still unable to save the drive dump.

6. tried the spare SFP port in the drive sled but still issue occurs

What will I try now is to upgrade to the latest library and drive firmware. our current firmware for library and drive are:

Currently Installed Library Firmware 4.50 / 2.50e
Drive Firmware Revision 74H6

our TL2000 is already out of warranty. Kindly help us to resolve our issue. appreciate all your replies.

attached herein is the error for reference.

thank you

1 Attachment

• 

7.1K Posts

July 1st, 2015 07:00

Hello INTManila,

You have tried all the steps to resolve your issue.  I would upgrade the firmware and if that doesn’t resolve your issue then the issue is going to be with the drive itself.  One other thing I would also check is your HBA & make sure that its firmware is also at the latest version.  

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

3 Posts

July 1st, 2015 08:00

Hi Sam,

i have successfully upgraded the library firmware to C.30 / 3.20e. However, on the part of Drive firmware upgrade, it says error during firmware upgrade: IR: SCSI invalid opcode. It seems the drive can't be reached/detected?

HBA driver meaning the card connected to the host media server?

Thank you

• 

7.1K Posts

July 1st, 2015 09:00

Hello INTManila,

Yes when I said HBA driver I was referring to the card connected to the server.  Also if reboot the TL2000 without the fibre cable connected to the drive will the drive login?  If the drive will not come online without the cable connected then your issue is going to be with your tape drive & the drive will need to be replaced.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2015 00:00

Hi Sam,

Thanks for clarifying the HBA driver. may i know what's the function of the HBA driver card connected to the server? pardon my question as i'm not relatively familiar on the setup.

Tried to unplug the fiber cable connected to the drive and have it powered-on, still issue occurred on the tape drive. Guess the tape drive is already faulty.

Thank you

No Events found!