Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2014 13:00

MD3000 Virtual Disk cache tuning?

Hi All, we have a SQL server TempDB drive being served from an MD3000.  It's comprised of (4) 15K SAS drives in a RAID 10 array.  I was recently asked to see if there was a way to adjust the cache settings on this virtual drive to favor writes vs. reads.   I looked all over MDSM but could not find any cache settings.  According to this doc, there are GUI and CLI settings available, but they do not tell you where?  > ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_powervault/powervault-md3000_User%27s%20Guide2_en-us.pdf

I'd prefer to do this through the GUI if possible.  Anyone know where these setting are located in MDSM or how I can even verify what they're currently set to?

Thanks! 

• 

6.9K Posts

September 17th, 2014 10:00

Hello dkraut,

With the MD3xxx systems you set the read & write cache settings when you create the virtual disk.  The only way to change the settings is to recreate the virtual disk & set it to the read / write ratio that you are wanting & then copy the data back to the new virtual disk.  

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

1 Rookie

• 

38 Posts

September 17th, 2014 11:00

Thanks Sam, is there anyway to view the current settings?  what are the default settings?  50/50?  

• 

6.9K Posts

September 23rd, 2014 15:00

Hello dkraut,

I believe that if you select the virtual disk & go to the properties it will show you what the read/write ratio is set to.  

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

No Events found!