Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

June 6th, 2018 17:00

MD3200 Array unreadable sectors

Hi,

we have 3 unreadable sectors on a RAID Array, the consistency check throws an LBA error right away. Our ESXi Hosts can not access this Array/Virtual Disk any more, it cycles between not showing, 0 Bytes and 192 PB. I eventually was able to use the datastore browser in vCenter to copy off the 2 Virtual Machines from this datastore, so we did not lose data.

However I would like to know if it is possible to recover from unreadable sectors or if we're better off deleting the Array and creating a new one.

Appreciate any assistance, thank you!

• 

7.1K Posts

June 7th, 2018 07:00

Hello TIR74,

In most cases, it is better to backup all the data and then destroy the virtual disk and recreate the virtual disk.  When you destroy the virtual disk if you get any errors on any drives then you might have a drive that maybe about to fail.  What is the current version of firmware that you are running on your MD3200?

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

3 Posts

June 7th, 2018 22:00

Hello,

the firmware is 08.20.24.60.

The events below appear alot in May 2018, I did not see them because they are informational - trying to understand why they are informational only. Shouldn't this cause some kind of warning, like for the Disk in Slot 0, the Array or the Virtual Disk? But they all show as optimal, and there was no 'Need Attention' message until the unreadable sectors were detected last weekend. 

Again, while I get the messages below the disk shows as optimal, is this expected behavior? Would replacing the disk resolve the unreadable sector errors?

5/31/2018 17:58 RAID Controller Module Enclosure 0, Slot 0 Virtual disk repair completed
5/31/2018 17:58 RAID Controller Module Enclosure 0, Slot 0 Virtual disk repair started
5/31/2018 17:58 Physical Disk Enclosure 0, Slot 0 Physical disk unrecoverable media error received

Thank you for your help!

• 

7.1K Posts

June 8th, 2018 07:00

Hello TIR74,

Can I get you to gather a support bundle so that we can review it to see all errors that have been happening?  I will send you an email that you can reply to with the support bundle.

3 Posts

June 12th, 2018 12:00

Sam,

i have emailed you the support bundle, please let me know what you find.

Thank you!

• 

7.1K Posts

June 12th, 2018 13:00

Hello TIR74,

Thanks for the support bundle.  I was able to see that the unreadable block are located on the drive in slot0.  What you will need to do is to get a backup of the data for virtual disk AVI-RAID10-15K.  Once you have a test backup then, you will need to destroy the VD.  Once the VD has been destroyed then you will need to recreate the VD and then do a full initialize.  Once the initialize has finished then you can restore the data to the virtual disk.  You may get a drive failure on the drive located in slot 0 when you destroy the virtual disk. If you do, then you will need to replace the drive.

No Events found!