Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 7th, 2015 05:00

Poweredge 2950 server doesn't see CX4-120 volumes

I have a 2950 connected to a cx4-120 with a direct connect fibre channel using a QLE2460. I am able to connect to the storage manager and see the IP's with a serial PPP connection and to the fibre channels with Qconnectconsole from the server, but neither Powerpath nor Storage management for SAN register any storage arrays. I am getting this error when trying to connect with Storage management for SAN ''Unable to find Virtual Disk Service (VDS) or any VDS
hardware providers installed on the server.  VDS and at least one VDS
hardware provider must be installed for Storage Manager for SANs to
function.  Please check the VDS and VDS hardware providers installation'.

Unisphere server utility picks up the storage and the IP's but when I try to connect with Unispehere Service Manager, it says it cannot connect to the IP's of the SP's.

The stoage was used with a previous server but I have no info on it. I am at a loss here, a week trying to get this connected, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am working with Dell but the tech keeps telling me I have to zone, there is no switch!  

• 

6.9K Posts

July 7th, 2015 09:00

Hello jstarmin

So what you are needing to do is to associate your HBA in your server with your CX4-120.  You do this by going into Unisphere & right clicking on your CX4-120. You will then select Connectivity Status.  Once in that window you will need to look for the HBA by the WWN in the list.  Your HBA should show as not being associated with the CX4-120.  You will need to register the HBA by selecting the register button on the bottom of the window and fill out the correct information.  Once you have registered both ports of the HBA in the connectivity Status then you will want to right click on the CX4-120 & select update now.

Once the HBA is connected then you will need to make sure that the host is connected to a raid group.  If the host is already connected to a raid group then you will need to make sure that the raid group also has a lun attached to it so that the host.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

4 Posts

July 7th, 2015 14:00

I finally was able to connect to Navisphere from the server (Spent hours navigating through firewall/stig/Java blocks) and set up the server as a host and assign the Lun. Everything g is up and running now and I'm connected!

No Events found!