Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

April 20th, 2018 04:00

Powervault LTO6 Drive Failure

Hi everybody,

we have a Powervault 124T changer with an internal LTO6 drive. This is now 2 months out of warranty and is starting to cause problems with long backup processes (spanning over 2 LTO6 tapes). We use BackupExec 16 with MS Server 2016 on a Dell PowerEdge R530. Drivers, Patchlevel and Firmwares are up to date.

In Detail: old tapes, being roughly 2 years used (mainly brand IBM) are working fine. When I try brand new tapes (currently brand Quantum), our full backup starts throwing error "V-79-57344-34028 Read/Write Error". The PowerVault then shows

"DiagnosticsRqrd" (39)

This is only the case with fresh tapes. When I use the old tapes, everything is fine. The drive is clean. I tried ITDT, any tests end up Passed/OK.
Anyone an idea?

• 

7.1K Posts

April 20th, 2018 07:00

Hello doc_relax,

The best way to see what is going on is to look at a drive dump log form your LTO6 drive.  I can send you an email and you can reply with the log & I can see what errors the drive is providing.  You can use ITDT to get the drive dump log.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• 

7.1K Posts

April 25th, 2018 12:00

Hello doc_relax,

Thanks for the log as it helps to look into your issue.  I see that tape serial# 1KW8T2E1 needs to be removed from rotation as it is marked as bad.  I also can see that you have tried about 3 different Quantum tapes & are getting error 7035: MED_OVER_REWRITE_LIMIT.  Now that can be an issue with the media, tape drive, or backup software.  What I would do is to use ITDT, & run a full write test on one of your Quantum media & see if the test passes without any issues.  If the media passes without any issues, then we can say that the drive & media should not be an issue.  IF it fails the full write test then I would say that you might have gotten a bad batch of media.

Did you purchase the media from Dell or from a third party?

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

No Events found!