Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

21 Posts

October 15th, 2018 09:00

Powervault MD3200i issue

I have an issue with a Powervault MD3200i. When I open MDSM, I see status unresponsive. Management Connections - In-Band. I get a message "Unable to communicate with device. Possible causes include the device is turned off. the device is disconnected.

In Devices - Storage Array shows a red squiggly line and it's not showing the RAID Array or any of the 4 drives. When I look at the 4 500 GB drives, I don't even see a green LED on the unit. I see all network connections on the back are lit up.  I pulled the drives, but don't have an adapter to see if they even power up.

I'm trying to figure out if the drives are bad since no green LED or something wrong with the Powervault with the RAID controller.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

21 Posts

November 20th, 2018 10:00

I was able to run the lemClearLockdown command on one of the RAID controllers and it went through all these settings when I was connected with the serial cable. I am now able to log into MDSM and see the SAN, which I wasn't before. I'm in the Hardware tab and can see the issue is with the bottom RAID controller is offline. I tried to clear the lockdown, but couldn't get to the point where I could use 'shellUsr' and the password. I noticed the NIC lit up, but then after a few seconds turned off. Here are some screen shots. Do I need to replace the bottom RAID controller or is it something else?

bottom controller alertbottom controller alertserial cable statusserial cable status

• 

6.9K Posts

November 22nd, 2018 12:00

Hello theel1997,

In most cases when you can’t clear the lockdown on the controller then the controller will need to be replaced.  Can I get you to capture the boot of the second controller, & I will send you a private message so that you can send me the log so I can look at the entire boot of the controller?

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

November 26th, 2018 11:00

The Lockdown paywall put in by Dell is a pretty low move if you ask me.  This should be documented and put out there for anyone that has had this issue.

Either way, this worked for me:

https://www.orangecomputers.com/node/?command=kb&docid=30

Hitting ESC got me to the log in then enter the super secret dell password that you need to pay for support to have them enter.  Then clear the lockdown.

No Events found!