Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

September 17th, 2012 13:00

ax150i

I have an ax150i that a HD went bad. In the process of replacing the HD, SPA went unmanaged and continually keeps trying to boot. I cannot connect to the service/console port on the back. I am using a serial DB9 to RJ45 cable. The hyperterminal settings that I am using are:

bits per second - 9600

Data bits - 8

Parity - None

Stop bits - 1

Flow Control - None.

Has anybody ever connected to the ax150i and and tell the SP to boot from the Utility Partion?

685 Posts

September 17th, 2012 14:00

There are two flare drives for each SP.  0 and 2 are for SPA and 1 and 3 are for SPB.  What sounds like may have happened is that two drives failed instead of one or that one was failed already when the second drive failed.

4 Posts

September 18th, 2012 08:00

We have a spare disk that took over right away with disk 2 failed. Once I put a refurbished disk back in 2, it rebuild with no errors. Do you know how to attach to  SPA using hyperterminal? Is there a special cable? A friend has an ax150i and they cannot get connected to theirs via console/service port. Is it possible?

685 Posts

September 18th, 2012 09:00

There is a special cable. It is a EMC dedicated cable that has  a special pin out. One alternative is if you have a Brocade Serial cable, it has a pin out that is similar. If you do not have the cable, you can go to the SPA IP address with a /setup and there will be an option to reset management access. It should be the last option on the bottom of the page. Let me know how that goes.

4 Posts

September 18th, 2012 12:00

I found the cable. I plug the cable into the service port on the back and it still does not connect. The SPA does not respond to its IP address, with or without /setup. What are the hyperterminal settings? The SPA does not change state when I unplug it or reboot it from SPB management. Do I have to power down the whole unit?

685 Posts

September 18th, 2012 13:00

Ok, this is one of the last steps we can try with out having to call into the support que. The steps you can do is to configure a PPP connection to the array. Now for this you do not want to do it from the server. You will need to get a laptop to do these steps with.

1. Right-click Network Neighborhood and select Properties.

2. Double-click New Connection Wizard.

3. Click Next

4. Select Setup an Advanced Connection and then click next.

5. Select Connect directly to another computer and click next.

6. Select Guest  and click next

7. Type in a connection name and click next

8. Choose the COM port you null modem cable is connected to and click next.

9. Select My use only and click next.

10. Click Finish.

11. At the log-in prompt select Properties

12. On the General tab, select Configure.

13. Configure the settings for the maximum speed to 115200 and Enable hardware flow control then click OK.

14. Select the Networking tab, select PPP from the pull-down menu and only leave TCP/IP for the protocol type selected and click OK.

15. Enter the username of clariion  with the password of clariion1992. (If that password doesn’t work use clariion!)

16. Click Connect.

Once this connects all of the other network connections will drop. Only this PPP will be connected. Then on the laptop open IE and type 192.168.1.1 and see if will open the navisphere. If it connects then do the IP address with the /setup and then restart the management services on that IP.

Once that is done you will want to move the cable to SPB and do the same steps right away. (There is a about a 5 min window to do SPB.) You will want to restart both so they can sync together. You only want to restart SPB once you verify that SPA has restarted and is back online.

4 Posts

September 20th, 2012 09:00

The solution for fixing a corrupt boot flare on the ax150i is the following:

1. Connect the special EMC DB9-RJ45 cable to a laptop and service port on back of ax150i.

2. Start a hyperterminal session with the following configuration:

Bits per second: 9600

Data bits:8

Parity: None

Stop bits: 1

Flow Control: None

3. Shutdown ax150i

4. Power on ax150i

5. As it is booting up follow the instructions of www.scribd.com/doc/66938895

No Events found!