Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2016 19:00

AS/400 VTL backup

As I understand the DD units need a license for VTL, but what is the purpose for the I/OS license if VTL should be generic?

Can an AS/400 be backed/restore up with VTL without the I/OS license and what are the limitations?

Thanks

Paul

208 Posts

September 12th, 2016 00:00

IBM needs to discover the correct device types (IBM) - they may appear without the IBM I/OS license but you may have issues with them;

446440 : I/OS License Needed for IBM i-series Proper Configuration and Communication with Data Domain VTL

https://support.emc.com/kb/446440

This article explains how to ensure a Data Domain system is properly licensed to allow configuration and communication between a Data Domain VTL system and IBM i-series system. If proper licensing is not in place, a customer will be able to scan for Data Domain virtual changer and tape drives, but they will not show up as a proper model.

If only the VTL license is installed, the Virtual Tape Library changer and drives will be discoverable by the IBM i system but will not operate correctly. They may also be discovered as an incorrect model number.

HTH, Jonathan

No Events found!