Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2016 01:00

DDVE make a known device an available device

hi community,

I've got an issue with a device which changed its state to known for some reason and is stuck in the active tier as a "device not in use" ever since... Can anyone provide a procedure how to get this device from known to available? There is no existing filesys, still I can neither remove the device from the tier nor reset its state to available...

sysadmin@ddve01# disk show hardware

Disk   Slot        Manufacturer/Model         Firmware   Serial No.                         Capacity     Type

(pci/idx)

----   ---------   ------------------------   --------   --------------------------------   ----------   ----

dev1   160:0       VMware  Virtual_disk       N/A        6000c296e1b2feefcaf9fa46915bdd78   250.00 GiB   SCSI

dev2   160:1       VMware  Virtual_disk       N/A        6000c29e3f6716ba694a088685839c94   10.00 GiB    SCSI

dev3   160:0       DGC     VRAID              N/A        CKM00                     250.00 GiB   SCSI

dev4   160:1       DGC     VRAID              N/A        CKM00                     250.00 GiB   SCSI

----   ---------   ------------------------   --------   --------------------------------   ----------   ----

4 drives present.

sysadmin@ddve01# disk show state

Dev   1  2  3  4

---   ------------

1-4   Y  Y  K  v

---   ------------

Legend   State              Count

------   ----------------   -----

v        Available Device   1

K        Known Device       1

Y        System Device      2

------   ----------------   -----

Total 0 disks and 4 devs

sysadmin@ddve01# storage show all

Active tier details:

Device    Device   Device

Group              Size

-------   ------   ---------

(known)   3        250.0 GiB

-------   ------   ---------

Current active tier size: 0.2 TiB

Active tier maximum capacity: 0.5 TiB

Storage addable devices:

Device      Device   Device

Type                 Size

---------   ------   ---------

(unknown)   4        250.0 GiB

---------   ------   ---------

62 Posts

July 6th, 2016 02:00

Hi Robert,

Are you wanting to use both devices? Or was one device, i.e. dev3 (the problematic one), added to the DDVE but no longer required and then removed from a VMware perspective?

cheers, Rich.

July 12th, 2016 23:00

Hi Rich,

Many thanks for your response.

I want to use both devices, yes. If I remember correctly I was only using dev3 at first, while initially setting up the DDVE and then later added dev4. I've also removed either device from a VMware perspective at one point, for example when I was trying to get rid of that locked dev3 I've rebooted the appliance several times, removed the devices from VMware in either state, online and offline, and added them back again but neither of those attempts has worked...

Regards,

Robert

62 Posts

July 13th, 2016 03:00

Hi Robert,

I've been discussing this issue with one of our storage RAID support engineers. The end result is that because we are not able to offering any remote type of troubleshooting for the evaluation version at this stage (i.e. WebEx) and more importantly, you don't have a filesystem to preserve, it's probably easiest and quickest to:

- Shutdown the DDVE virtual machine.

- Delete the DDVE virtual machine.

- Remove both dev3 and dev4 at an array level and ensure from a storage perspective the first 10GB of the devices is overwritten (to clear any metadata information).

- Redeploy/install a new DDVE virtual machine.

- Assign the 2 devices back to the DDVE virtual machine and proceed to use 'storage add' as normal.

cheers, Rich.

No Events found!