Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2017 19:00

Data Domain Filesystem Encryption

Hi,

I have two Data Domain on different site.
The source Data Domain has enabled the file system encryption feature, but the destination Data Domain is not.
We perform the IBM i backup with VTL and create the directory / pool replication to synchronize tape data to DR site.
Recently, we tried to restore tape data from DR Data Domain, but the IBM i error message shows that the tape is encrypted and can not be restored normally.

We also tried the same way to perform the backup on DR site, created a new replication from DR to the source Data Domain.

After it was all synchronized, we tried to restore the data from source Data Domain and it was normal.
Does anyone encounter such a problem?
Does File System Encryption required to enable on both source and destination Data Domain?

1 Message

December 5th, 2017 02:00

Hello,

I believe that encryption is required on both site. See hereby the question and answer from the training quiz for E20-385, Data Domain Implementation Engineer.

Is the link between sites encrypted?

Best regards

QR.jpg

Marcel

4 Posts

December 6th, 2017 06:00

Hi Marcel,

Thank you for your reply.

I think the idea of this question is to plan a replacement for their encrypted tape which shipped to the third-party offsite vault, so both production site and DR site Data Domain systems need to be encrypted to fulfill the requirement.

In my situation, the link between sites is not encrypted.

You can find "Encryption Over Wire" in the following picture.

Screenshot 2017-12-06 21.51.45.png

I found some information in this white paper called "EMC Data Domain Encryption" for reference.

Screenshot 2017-12-06 22.02.17.png

It seems the data will be decrypted by the source Data Domain before it sent to the DR site.

My colleague opened a case to EMC support.

If there is any progress, I would like to provide feedback.

No Events found!