Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 6th, 2014 18:00

How many devices to create in a DD

WE are setting up a new backup env with nw 8.1 and dd.  we will be backing up unix , windows and vmware guests (using vba). Does it make sense if  I create 3 devices and 3 media pools , so that device1 backups only unix, device2 backups only wiindows and device3 only vmware?

since our old seup is with nw 7 and lto tapes , I try to make the new seup  configured similar to the old one.  May be that  is not right when using dd. 

we will be backing up nearly 200 physical and 200 vmware guests.  How many devices should I create for better perfomance?

unlike tape drives which can mount different volumes, a dd device mounts only 1 volume and use it forever, is that right?

Thanks

james

25 Posts

March 6th, 2014 20:00

James, you should really decide how many pools not just based off of what you are backing up, but perhaps from the size of your backups also.  This will help if you are going to use replication or even VTL, if you will use later on.  Too large of a backup location will cause replication lag and ultimately slow your cleaning cycles.  Hope this helps. :-)

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

March 7th, 2014 01:00

I'm not sure about your parallelism and so on (like how crowded your backup window is), but create 5, make sure to use dynamic nsrrmd allocation and check session settings which you will use.  As for pools, do you really need more than one pool?  When using tapes I had couple of pools, but since I switched to DD Boost I use single pool for everything (on Data Domain).  Remember that pools help group data per volume and only case scenario where this makes sense is when pools are retention based with tapes.  With direct disk architecture this is a bit different even if you use multiple retention policies so there is no need to have them separated (unless you wish so, but keeping it simple is still the best rule).

No Events found!