Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

January 30th, 2014 00:00

Moving DD from Rack to other Rack

Hi,

i am really getting frustrated. I moved a DD690 with 5 shelves from a rack 20m to an other rack and now this system is messing up.

My first doing before moving the DD690 was to look for current alerts, stop the replication, rebooting and afterwards a System poweroff.

I then noted every cabling from the shelves and then moved the total Hardware to another rack , re cabled it and then turned power on.

One alert was Missing Enclosure Path, I checked the cables and afterwards this alert was cleared and all seemed okay.

Just 3 hours when I left the location a new alert with MissingEnclosurePath was showing up, which was cleared automatically after some time. Then another SASTopologyError Show up, was cleared and showed up again.

Finally in the night 2 disks failed. And just now I receive the message that the Filesystem does not show any heartbeat and GUI and CLI connection arent working.

What did I do wrong?

DataDomain is looking into it but I really Need some advice what I can do better next time!

19 Posts

January 30th, 2014 06:00

As Hrvoje mentioned  if everything was as before (connection wise) and you did not miss place the order of the shelves look at the cables and verify they look ok.

Regarding the 2 disk failures it is quite hard to speculate if they failed due to the rack move or if they was their destiny to fail on the same date.

So if all above is verified you have done everything correctly please update us regarding the answer from the DD support team (I'am curious What caused the heartbeat stop?)

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

January 30th, 2014 06:00

If everything was as before (connection wise) then only thing left is that cables were not inserted fully or you had pin bending.

142 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 01:00

Hi Patric,

I am also curious to know what DD support answered. Just let us know when suitable.

Regards

tech88kur

1 Rookie

• 

68 Posts

February 6th, 2014 04:00

Controller has been changed today and finally that system is running as it did before the movement.

If I would be asked if i would change my behavior in this case - i would answer no - but my advice for anyone moving a older data domain - be sure that there is EMC support available.

142 Posts

February 6th, 2014 06:00

Dear Patric,

Did the rack movement trigger controller fail? What had support to say about it? Or as iimnordic said was it its destiny to fail?

And thanks for sharing this, I was just beginning to think if you forgot to post here.

Regards

tech88kur

No Events found!