Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 21st, 2018 08:00

Oracle RMAN Agent for DD - clarification of replication setup

Relative to what I've been able to gather from the separate documentation (because there doesn't seem to be any consolidated documentation for it - big surprise), it would appear that the Oracle RMAN Agent for DD can use managed file replication in order to have the Oracle RMAN backup data on both the DD local to the Oracle server as well as on a remote DD system as well.

Not an Oracle guru (barely a "grasshopper"), and more familiar with other DD replication, so I have some questions:

1) Guessing that I need to configure managed file replication on the Data Domains before having Oracle try to use it; is this correct, and are there any important guidelines, such as MTree naming (because the customer already has MTrees with the same names on these different Data Domains for backing up local app data - so if the replication pair is going to try to create a name on the target, I have to make sure there isn't already a storage unit there with that name)

2) Once the DD MFR is set up, is everything pretty much "handled" by the Oracle RMAN commands, or do I have to set up any kind of replication schedule on the DD?

All comments/feedback appreciated - thanks.

Cal C.

6 Posts

March 21st, 2018 09:00

I have setup MTREE to MTREE replication on our Data Domains for SQL and Oracle DD Boost.  See the below example.  RMAN knows about the replicated copy via the catalog.  we also use an RMAN command with a third party schedule to backup the archive logs directly to the Data Domain and then a CLI Avamar job to grab the file systems (code01) etc.  So we have the best of both worlds.  the DPS team controls the DD and the Oracle DBAs manage RMAN and can take on-demand backups as needed w/o us.

Site A

RMANSiteA (mtree) to RMANSiteA mtree on SiteB's DD

Site B

RMANSiteB (mtree) to RMANSiteB (mtree) on SiteA's DD

132 Posts

March 23rd, 2018 07:00

That is good information to know - now if only someone would reply to my other post about where I find the documentation for setting this up within the SQL and Oracle contexts.

Or do I just set up MTree replication for the respective MTrees as listed above in crp0963post, and SQL and RMAN will "magically" take care of everything else?

And FWIW, I'd be happy to RTFM - if I could locate the "FM"(s) that has the info (because I doubt all the info is located in one document).

85 Posts

March 23rd, 2018 07:00

Look up EMC® Data Domain Boost for Oracle Recovery Manager in support.emc.com. it has the rman scripts and examples

132 Posts

March 23rd, 2018 09:00

I have looked in those documents, and I see the following, for another document that apparently does not exist:

The Knowledgebase Article number 182294, titled Configuration of DDBoost Users on

Source and Destination DDRs for MTree Replication, provides more details. The article

is available on the Support website at https://support.emc.com.

Also, there is a lot of information about DD replication related parameters, but no actual configuration file examples that I can see in that document. The only detailed discussion about the "secondary" DD system parameters is in the Recoverpoint section.

No Events found!